What is your favorite pasta brand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I only took Italian for one quarter...and that was a long time ago. :rolleyes:

I grew up in an Italian neighborhood. I learned so very interesting words. My daughter-in-law was born and raised in Naples, Italy. When she came to this country, she took Italian in H.S. The teacher flunked her. Her mothr was furious. And she didn't speak English. So up to the school she goes. She starts talking in Italian to the teacher. The teacher didn't understand a word she said. They called the principal up to the classroom. He understood every word her mother said and couldn't understand what the teacher said. The teacher was speaking Roman Italian. DIL and her mother were speaking dialect Italian. She got her passing grade. Teacher was sent to another school to teach Italian to kids who never heard it.

My two grandchildren learned to speak without an accent. They would talk Italian to their mother and grandparents, and English to our side of the family. My youngest grandchild speaks three languages. Albanian to his other grandmother, Italian to his mother and English to his father. He is two and speaks all three fluently. I have trouble just trying to speak English. Do much better with giberish and childrenese. :huh:

Last edited:
I learned, classic (Roman) Italian while living in Sardinia and then moved to Naples and had to start over.

Exactly. We have differnt dialects right here in the U.S. Soda, pop and tonic are a perfect example. All the same thing, just different names in different parts of the country. The teacher failed to take that fact into account. She also failed to learn something new herself. Take a person who grew up in New England all their life and plunk them down in the deep South. It is as if there are two different languages being spoken. Then look at the difference in American English and the Queens English. Lorry and truck are a perfect example. I once read a book written by a WWII veteran who came from the midwest. He was plunked down in England right from the farm. It was a hard book to read. Only becaue I spent most of the time laughing so hard. His first battlefield wasn't in the war, but right in England trying to learn their language. :chef:

Last edited:
Which ever brand is on sale. :) The one brand I won't buy is the WalMart Great Value brand. I think it has an off-taste to it.

We have a large pasta factory right here in Massachusetts and it serves all of New England. Prince Macaroni Products. They also make the house brands for the stores in this area. So I buy the house brand. It is about 45 to 50 cents cheaper. But there is always a slight difference in the Prince product and the house brand. Casserole elbows are the perfect example. Prince are just plain large elbows. House brand has lines on the elbows. I can live with the lines. :)

My favorite is what I make in my own kitchen. Would that be "Choppers?" when I buy pasta I usually get Barilla pasta. I prefer multi grain or whole wheat pasta.

Same here, except I haven't tried Barilla. I buy whole grain pasta from Felicetti or Bio Naturae. They are both imported from Italy, organic, and really yummy.

I've been a Barilla fan for years, mostly because it reheats without turning to mush. But for elbows I prefer Creamettes, and I recently bought DaVinci linguini which I liked better than Barilla. Of course my favorite is when my husband makes fetuccini from scratch, and I refuse to buy any fetucchini (how do you spell that, anyway) just to force him to make it for me a few times a year!

f-e-t-t-u-c-c-i-n-e

My favorites are Rustichella d'Abruzzo and Setaro.

taxy, bio naturae is really good for whole wheat pasta. you almost can't tell that it's whole wheat.

Barilla is my preferred pasta, but if DeCecco is on sale, I'll get that ... it's very good. I recently tried Lydia's and it was very good too. It's taste and texture is very similar to DeCecco.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom