"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
Master Chef

No

Old 01-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

last try:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop...86NYPiPo&gl=US

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I only took Italian for one quarter...and that was a long time ago.
I grew up in an Italian neighborhood. I learned so very interesting words. My daughter-in-law was born and raised in Naples, Italy. When she came to this country, she took Italian in H.S. The teacher flunked her. Her mothr was furious. And she didn't speak English. So up to the school she goes. She starts talking in Italian to the teacher. The teacher didn't understand a word she said. They called the principal up to the classroom. He understood every word her mother said and couldn't understand what the teacher said. The teacher was speaking Roman Italian. DIL and her mother were speaking dialect Italian. She got her passing grade. Teacher was sent to another school to teach Italian to kids who never heard it.

My two grandchildren learned to speak without an accent. They would talk Italian to their mother and grandparents, and English to our side of the family. My youngest grandchild speaks three languages. Albanian to his other grandmother, Italian to his mother and English to his father. He is two and speaks all three fluently. I have trouble just trying to speak English. Do much better with giberish and childrenese.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:59 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

I learned, classic (Roman) Italian while living in Sardinia and then moved to Naples and had to start over.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassalley View Post
I learned, classic (Roman) Italian while living in Sardinia and then moved to Naples and had to start over.
Exactly. We have differnt dialects right here in the U.S. Soda, pop and tonic are a perfect example. All the same thing, just different names in different parts of the country. The teacher failed to take that fact into account. She also failed to learn something new herself. Take a person who grew up in New England all their life and plunk them down in the deep South. It is as if there are two different languages being spoken. Then look at the difference in American English and the Queens English. Lorry and truck are a perfect example. I once read a book written by a WWII veteran who came from the midwest. He was plunked down in England right from the farm. It was a hard book to read. Only becaue I spent most of the time laughing so hard. His first battlefield wasn't in the war, but right in England trying to learn their language.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC Glassalley. You will have fun here and learn a lot.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:00 AM   #27
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Which ever brand is on sale. The one brand I won't buy is the WalMart Great Value brand. I think it has an off-taste to it.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

i just double checked, besides ronzoni and dececco, it's delverde, not delle verde.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

We have a large pasta factory right here in Massachusetts and it serves all of New England. Prince Macaroni Products. They also make the house brands for the stores in this area. So I buy the house brand. It is about 45 to 50 cents cheaper. But there is always a slight difference in the Prince product and the house brand. Casserole elbows are the perfect example. Prince are just plain large elbows. House brand has lines on the elbows. I can live with the lines.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #30
Senior Cook

My favorite is Barilla.

Tags
other, pasta