"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You won't be sorry. A whole different product.
I know this sounds silly but the thought of making pasta from scratch is intimidating.

I have no idea why.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal View Post
I know this sounds silly but the thought of making pasta from scratch is intimidating.

I have no idea why.
I have the same fear of a pastry bag. And I would love to overcome it so I can decorate a cake.

Give it a try. If you have ever made bread, then you will know by the feel of the dough when it is just right. All it is, is flour and water. What have you got to lose? Just some time and a little amount of ingredients. Start small with just a cup of flour. Pasta dough is one of those recipes that you don't have to follow exactly.

I saw Sara Moulton yesterday working with bread dough. And her secret is to spread a small amount of oil on the counter instead of flour. The oil keeps the dough from sticking to your hands and the counter top. I would think the same secret could work for pasta dough. Just use an oil that you would want to flavor the dough. Give it a try. Report back.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #63
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have the same fear of a pastry bag. And I would love to overcome it so I can decorate a cake.

Give it a try. If you have ever made bread, then you will know by the feel of the dough when it is just right. All it is, is flour and water. What have you got to lose? Just some time and a little amount of ingredients. Start small with just a cup of flour. Pasta dough is one of those recipes that you don't have to follow exactly.

I saw Sara Moulton yesterday working with bread dough. And her secret is to spread a small amount of oil on the counter instead of flour. The oil keeps the dough from sticking to your hands and the counter top. I would think the same secret could work for pasta dough. Just use an oil that you would want to flavor the dough. Give it a try. Report back.

Thanks, Addie! I just bumped that project to the top of the list and I appreciate the advice.

Some time I'll tell you about my home made, garden grown pasta sauce experience that ended in complete disaster.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal View Post
Thanks, Addie! I just bumped that project to the top of the list and I appreciate the advice.

Some time I'll tell you about my home made, garden grown pasta sauce experience that ended in complete disaster.
That bad huh?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #65
Assistant Cook

Dreamfields. Healthy and delicious. However nothing beats home made. Just can seem to find the time anymore but still make home made pasta sauce from our garden every year. We make enough to get us through to the next harvest! Yum, I am getting a craving...
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 PM   #66
Executive Chef

Good Evening,

I believe this is a duplicate thread since I had joined December 2011, right before Christmas or New Year´s ... However, we have so many new people lately.

However, I am pleased to see that many of you also use Barilla too ...

It is one of the oldest producers of dry pastas in Italia. It never fails me ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

Barilla for us too. Creamette is o.k. in a pinch.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #68
Head Chef

Barilla for me.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #69
Executive Chef

I've always liked Barilla because you can't screw it up. You could boil that stuff for two hours and it would still come out Al Dente.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have never tried Barilla, but I like their TV commercials ;)

Tags
other, pasta