What is your favourite pulse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think I have a particular 'favourite' bean, and I've never used black-eyed beans. I'd love to do that, so your thread is, to me, a wake-up call to try them!

I'm not sure we can get them in Italy though, but it's worth a look. Thanks for the idea!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Black beans done Cuban style or red beans NOLA style with rice.

Refried black beans (or in a vegetarian mix I make with corn and veggies); pintos, either refried or in chili; cannelli beans in a mash.

Opened this thread to find out what a pulse was.

So far, haven't found a bean I don't like. Buy more pintos than anything else but sometimes get hungry for butter beans, navy beans, split peas, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, small red beans, kidney beans, black beans or fava beans and nothing else will do.

Grandpa, from Pennsyltucky, liked a bowl of navy beans with bean juice and milk. So I did do too.

There is a recipe which I cook often, favoured by the women at the Mughlai courts of India. It's five types of beans/pulses. It varies for me depending on what I have, but I usually use mung beans, yellow split peas, black-eyed beans, lentils (green/brown/red, whichever I have) and urad dal (apparently known in English as "black gram" or "urad bean"). The original recipe I have says to use toor dal (pigeon peas), but I have never bought them.

My favorite is whatever bean Im eating that day. Chickpea for hummus, pintos for rice and beans, dark red kidneys in soup... and the list goes on.

That being said, a few years ago I was at some restaurant in Newport Rhode Island. I had a lentil soup that was so good, I ordered a second bowl for dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom