What kind of rice for rositto?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks JC and GG. And with that piece of the puzzle in place, I shall proceed with my experiment!

The type of rice you use is pretty important, as it needs to be the high starch type that gives off the starch to create risotto's creamy texture.

Look for Arborio or Carnaroli rice, which are the types most often used in risotto and are widely found in the US.

Arborio is easiest to find. They carry it in my supermarket in both the rice and the italian sections.
I'm with Jennyemma re Arborio and Carnaroli rice. I'm new to making risotto but I usually use Arborio rice. I find that race just labelled "Risotto rice" in the UK is often not so good. Possibly it's cheaper rice not really grown for risotto.

Long grain rice that we get over here doesn't seem to have the starchiness that risotto needs to give the "creamy" texture.

When you make risotto, the constant stirring gives the consistency desired, which is sticky and saucy and 'al dente' at the same time.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I’m wondering if I can use Japanese short grain rice (sushi rice) to make risotto. My main concern is that Japanese rice must be washed several times. I don’t think I need to actually soak it for thirty minutes, as one does when actually making rice for sushi, but the washing, as I understand it, is required. Can one sauté wet rice? Or do I need to wash the rice, then spread it on a baking sheet to dry? And just how dry does it need to be?
Presumably you are washing the rice to remove the starch from the surface of the rice grains. Which somewhat defeats the object of risotto, doesn't it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom