"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2018, 10:31 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Thanks JC and GG. And with that piece of the puzzle in place, I shall proceed with my experiment!

Old 07-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The type of rice you use is pretty important, as it needs to be the high starch type that gives off the starch to create risotto's creamy texture.

Look for Arborio or Carnaroli rice, which are the types most often used in risotto and are widely found in the US.

Arborio is easiest to find. They carry it in my supermarket in both the rice and the italian sections.
I'm with Jennyemma re Arborio and Carnaroli rice. I'm new to making risotto but I usually use Arborio rice. I find that race just labelled "Risotto rice" in the UK is often not so good. Possibly it's cheaper rice not really grown for risotto.

Long grain rice that we get over here doesn't seem to have the starchiness that risotto needs to give the "creamy" texture.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #23
Sous Chef

When you make risotto, the constant stirring gives the consistency desired, which is sticky and saucy and 'al dente' at the same time.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
di reston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:01 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
Iím wondering if I can use Japanese short grain rice (sushi rice) to make risotto. My main concern is that Japanese rice must be washed several times. I donít think I need to actually soak it for thirty minutes, as one does when actually making rice for sushi, but the washing, as I understand it, is required. Can one sautť wet rice? Or do I need to wash the rice, then spread it on a baking sheet to dry? And just how dry does it need to be?
Presumably you are washing the rice to remove the starch from the surface of the rice grains. Which somewhat defeats the object of risotto, doesn't it?

Tags
None