What to do with a ton of rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawchick04

Cook
Boyfriend made a huge pot of plain white rice for just the 2 of us. We ate it with his pepper steak last night. Aside from freezing it for another time, does anyone have suggestions for the leftovers...something I could prepare tonight and for the next couple days?

Last edited:
In my book, nothing is better with leftover rice than a lovely Fried Rice.

The ingredients are pretty much everything & anything, but I usually add scrambled eggs, diced turkey ham, diced cooked chicken, diced cooked shrimp, bean sprouts, chopped bok choi, cooked green peas + any of a variety of sauces, of course, depending on the individual recipe.

What's nice is that the leftover Fried Rice also makes great leftovers in its own right. Very easy to heat up for a nice lunch or supper.

Lawchick, first of all there's no such thing as "too much rice." As you've seen from other answers, rice is a given.

One thing I didn't see (thank gawd) was rice and raisins or congee. Sure, there's plenty of goodness there, but it's not high on my list. LOL

Fried rice, rice added to soups (yum), rice heated and added to ANYTHING... Geeze.. in my house it's not so much what to do with extra rice but whether there might be extra rice.

Ciao,

Well, I like to make Fried Rice as well, along with rice pudding, and add some of the rice to a really thin chicken soup. Adding some rice to gumbo is a great use.

You can also eat it for breakfast, by putting some rice in a bowl, sprinkling some sugar over it, then pouring some milk over that.

Like skilletlicker, rice and red beans or black beans. Some marinated beef cooked and cut into cubes added, or pork chops (mojo criollo is a good marinade) and maybe some fried plantains and that is eating.

Or a Cuban dish called picadillo. Very simple, just Google. Ground beef, onions, tomato paste just a bit), cumin, pimento filled grilled olives, some raisins and other fixins.

Very good.

Sorta a Spanish/Mexican theme here, but boy those dishes are good.

I really like this stuff - it will use up 3 cups of that leftover rice for you!

* Exported from TheRecipeManager *

Sausage & Rice Brunch Bake
1 pound pork sausage
3 cups hot, cooked rice
2 cups Cheddar cheese grated & divided
3 eggs slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 4 oz can sliced mushrooms drained
2 teaspoons mustard
1/4 teaspoon onion powder

Instructions: Cook sausage in skillet until well done; stir to crumble. Drain.

Combine rice & 1 1/2 cup cheese. Spread evenly in buttered 8 X 12-inch baking dish. Sprinkle sausage over rice mixture.

Combine remaining ingredients except cheese; pour over sausage. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.

Bake at 350* for 40 to 45 minutes, or until set.

besides feed a niegbhorhood....You can prepare rice more ways then eggs...

Fried rice
Stuffed peppers
Rice Pudding
Grind to make dough skins
Thicken Soups(well, I guess Bisques technically)
Chilled rice salad(treat like cous cous)
Chili and Rice
Beans and Rice...and a million variations
Freeze for later, in portions, then when needed, add some water(or stock) and nuke.
Use for filler in Stuffings
...like the Energizer Bunny, this thread could keep going, and going, and going...

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm making Corrine's brunch bake this morning because I have all ingredients on hand. And I've got other suggestions written down...so many that I may have to cook another pot of rice!

Back
Top Bottom