What to do with flaxseed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use them ground up when I make bread.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Flaxseeds have a nutty flavor and are excellent sprinkled on salads, cereals, and yogurt.[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]They are a wonderful addition to baked goods, such as breads, muffins, waffles, hot cereals and pancakes. [/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Stir 1 TBLS of ground flaxseed into your favorite fruit, vegetable juice, or milk.[/FONT]

My mom swears by them for lowering of cholesterol, she sprinkles a spoon on her cereal every morning. I like them in home baked bread, nice nutty flavor. I have read it is best to use them ground, since you get more from them that way, unless there is a reason you want them to pass thru digestion intact. They are small, dark seeds, sort of oval like sesame seeds but little more pointy if you can picture that. You can purchase in health food stores and I think some grocery stores sell the ground ones labeled "flax seed meal".

I put it in almost everything.
Meatloaf
Oatmeal
Any baked goods, I replace about 1/4 to 1/2 cup flour w/ ground flax.
Sprinkle on salads
I even sneak it in the kids cookies I bake.
hee hee.
It's cheapest for me sold in the bulk foods section as whole seeds.... then I grind them a bit at a time in a coffee grinder.... I keep the whole seeds in the freezer.

i add some ground flaxseed to rye and whole wheat bread mixes that i buy for my bread machine, and also toss in a 1/2 cup or so of whole flaxseed into the machine for added crunch.

i also like to mix whole seeds with sesame seeds to encrust fish before searing. it works really well on tuna steaks.

I buy flax seed and grind it into meal in a blade-type coffee grinder as needed, never ahead. Then I put it in darn near everything. Smoothies, baked stuff, cereals, yogurt, salads, meatballs, sausage...tastes good, very good for you. Probably better for you uncooked. And thanks for the links, GG.

Dave: Is there a Costco there? YES, there is! I just looked it up. 7205 Mills Civic Pkwy in West DM. They have a big jar of ground flax seed for about nine bucks and it's most excellent. Not a member? It's worth it (and I don't get paid for saying that).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom