"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-18-2009, 10:16 PM   #21
Cook

My favorite is a crust rubbed with garlic, pesto base with slices of Sargento mozz (not the fresh stuff, the prepackaged stuff... for some reason I don't want to try the fresh?!? but it's still quite good!) get a can of peeled tomatoes, roughly slice them and pile them on top of the cheese or layer with the cheese. sprinkle salt, pepper, and a bit o' crushed red pepper flake. mmm.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:04 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyR View Post
The best pizza I've ever made wasn't pizza but the pizza fixings rolled up in the dough and baked.

My oven just won't hold the heat necessary to make a nice crisp crust so I just rolled the fixings up in the crust and baked it. Everyone loved it.

I made a few changes...instead of my regular pizza sauce I just used straight tomato paste and spread it on like peanut butter on a sandwich and sprinkled it with garlic salt, Italian seasonings and Parmesan cheese, Mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions and bell peppers. I also cooked my mushrooms first. Rolled it up and baked it.

It was a big hit.
I made this again tonight and took some pics.

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #23
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I never met a pizza I didn't like and we make pizza almost every weekend. I make the dough from flour, salt, SAF yeast water and a little oil.

I used canned (yup, plain canned) tomato sauce and add dry seasonings on top of sauce. Ground fennel seed, garlic pwd, dried basil and oregano. Then shredded mozzarella gets layered on.

After years of trying flavor combos our default pizza toppings are artichoke hearts (canned/quartered and pressed dry), kalamata olives (whole with pits), onions and sauteed mushrooms.

This gets baked on an aluminum pizza pan at 450 (about 15 mins) and at the last minute I slide the pizza off the pan directly onto the bottom rack of the oven and let it cook for about a minute more. Cool on a rack for a few minutes and eat.

I love champagne with pizza - seriously, it's perfect.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #24
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I love champagne with pizza - seriously, it's perfect.
genius, absolutely genius.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:54 PM   #25
Senior Cook

The pizza I usually make is basic, my children like it even my 2 1/2years old. I just made one today.

For 2 large crusts:
1 tablespoon (one package) yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cooking oil
1 cup warm water
1 cup flour

Add the above ingredients and set a set aside. When the yeast starts to bubble add another
2 cup of flour and add
1 teaspoon garlic or onion sprinkles or finely grated parmesan cheese to the dough to flavor the crust.

Preheat oven to 400F
Spread pizza sauce over the crust
add your favorite veggies and then top with shredded mozeralla cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.

Enjoy!
Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

I like the idea of flavoring the crust! My crust recipe is is like most of the others except I don't add any oil. Have been using this with junior high and high school students for many years. Toppings can be anything you like. I make a simple sauce with, 1 can tomato sauce, basil, granulated garlic, oragano, a little salt and pepper. I found pizza pans make a great deal of difference in how the pizza comes out also.

Betty R, that calzone looks amazing!
Old 01-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
I made this again tonight and took some pics.

Quote:
The best pizza I've ever made wasn't pizza but the pizza fixings rolled up in the dough and baked.

My oven just won't hold the heat necessary to make a nice crisp crust so I just rolled the fixings up in the crust and baked it. Everyone loved it.

I made a few changes...instead of my regular pizza sauce I just used straight tomato paste and spread it on like peanut butter on a sandwich and sprinkled it with garlic salt, Italian seasonings and Parmesan cheese, Mozzarella cheese, caramelized onions and bell peppers. I also cooked my mushrooms first. Rolled it up and baked it.

It was a big hit.
that looks awesome!! i have a fix for your crispy crust. stretch dough out, thin layer of olive oil and a thin layer of sauce, herbs and spices of your choosing. bake at 450F for 2 -3 minutes till dogh rises abit and the sauce looks a bit dry. remove from oven add another thin layer of sauce and your toppings. back into oven till cheese and toppings are to your liking and bottom is golden.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:50 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Pizza dough made from Peter Reinharts's poolish based Ciabatta recipe.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Pizza dough made from Peter Reinharts's poolish based Ciabatta recipe.
I don't know about Peter Reinhart's recipe, but I make a poolish the day before and it makes all the difference when it comes to both flavor and texture!!
Old 01-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I don't know about Peter Reinhart's recipe, but I make a poolish the day before and it makes all the difference when it comes to both flavor and texture!!
Didn't see any mention of poolish in your 7 Nov. post.

Tags
None