"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 05-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #11
Master Chef
I love beans of all types. But my favorites have to be Baked Beans in a sauce comprised of mollases and Splenda, with onion, yellow mustard, and a good ham hock cooked in it until all of the collagen is dissoved. I love just a great quality hot dog heated with the beans.

Now take those baked beans and replace the Splenda and mollases with Maple Syrup and you have something very special, not necessarily better or worse, but more luxurious and deliscous.

I'm also a sucker for Van Camp's pork & beans with hot dogs.

Polish sausage and keilbassa also work with the beans as well.

Beans soup is right up there on my list of favorites.

Refried beans are so versatile, and can be a vehicle for other flavors. Gotta acknowledge them on this post.

Kidney beans belong in chili, and taco salad. That's just one of the natural laws of the universe.

Chick peas in three bean salad, how can you go wrong with that.

Four bean salad is even better, with green and yellow-wax beans, chik peas, and kidney beans.

And the list could go on and on.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #12
Send a message via Yahoo to Always Hungry
There is a fantastic Brazilian restaurant right down the street, here in W. HOllywood, that makes amazing black beans. They season them so well and pair them up with rice and fried plantains. Of course, the grilled Mahi-Mahi that goes with it is exquisite too.

We make good food, great. TM
Always Hungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #13
Senior Cook
Send a message via MSN to RDG
Brown in some oil and butter the sausages, with rosemarin and fennel seeds, and add some white wine. Let it dry. Add a can of white tuscan beans, or the brown ones (we call them "borlotti"), after leaving off their water. Squeeze about a third of them with a fork. Add some tomatoe pulp (two-three spoons for 300 gr of sausages). Wet with an half glass of meat broth, and let it cook gently, till broth has finished. Some pepper, if you like.....
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:08 PM   #14
Executive Chef
ALways: those Brazillian black beans,,,fejuoada...so good!
Goodweed--I'm a bean freak too...
RDG--going to give your recipe a try...sounds tasty!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:13 AM   #15
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by middie
Middie, how many people does the soup feed? 2? Am planning on putting this on my list to make during winter and would like to make for whole family. Sounds sooooooo good. :)
IcyMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:47 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by IcyMist
Middie, how many people does the soup feed? 2? Am planning on putting this on my list to make during winter and would like to make for whole family. Sounds sooooooo good. :)
This contribution of middie's is sooooooooooo good, if you want a testimonial. Coudn't tell you for sure how many people it feeds, but the three of us eat every bit of it.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:37 AM   #17
Sous Chef

A pinch of Epazote can reduce gas problems if added near th end of cooking beans.
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:09 AM   #18
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I just liketo get dry beans any kind really cook like package say to... and add some cut up smoked sausage... it gives it a very nice flavor...
I also like to cut up an onion and add to the mixture...
kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:32 AM   #19
Master Chef
One of my summer staples is a bean salad using one can each of any combination of beans (garbanzo, red kidney, cannelini, black, etc.), rinsed & drained, mixed with chopped red onion, chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley, minced garlic, feta cheese, extra-virgin olive oil, & red wine vinegar. I try to always have a bowl of this in the fridge for a quick snack, side, or lunch.

Cassoulet is also our traditional New Year's Day dish, made with white beans, turkey Andouille sausage, chunks of chicken stewed in white wine, & leftovers from the Xmas Day roast goose.

Refried beans accompany nearly every Mexican dish I make, of course, & chili wouldn't be chili without red kidney beans.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:13 AM   #20
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to Quizzie
GOODWEED of the north; Your baked beans sound great... I am going to try them this sunday with some grilled country style ribs. Love your name!

Quizzie is offline   Reply With Quote