"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 10-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
|Here is one of my favorite ways to eat white beans....White Beans A La Provencal

You can also make a salad using fresh veggies like celery, peppers, onions garlic, parsley, herbs, tuna with a vinaigrette.
inchrisin, I'll vouch for that above recipe from Rock. It's become one of our favorite side dishes, and I really don't care much for beans of any kind.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
try to stay away from canned beans to reduce the salt, or at least rinse canned beans really well. get rid of the gloop.

i like plain cannelini beans (aka chick peas) on salads, and of course there's hummus - a dip made from mashed cannelini beans. you can make a lot of different hummi (hummuses?) by adding things like roasted red peppers, garlic, various herbs, diced hot peppers, hot pepper sauce, minced artichoke hearts or hearts of palm, and so on. i really like it garlic-y and spicey hot.

for real boston baked beans, you start with white navy beans. you can fake some of the ingredients like replacing the bacon with something flavourful but healthy like smoked turkey necks. i couldn't bring myself to do that, but someone might. ya gotta live a little or what's the point of being healthy and living to 125 years old? you ain't goin' anywhere fast at that age, lol. ok, maybe the funeral home, but i digress.

back to cabbelini beans: i used to make a dish of beans and blanched baby shrimp, aka popcorn shrimp. it was served on a bed of iceberg lettuce in a vinaigrette of minced shallots, shaved celery, lemon, evoo, and vinegar. mmm, i have to make that again soon.

white beans are also great in escarole e fagiole soup (the beans are the fagiole). you can sub kale if you can't find 'scarole.

beans also go well in minestrone soup.

there's also rice and bean burritos. just use white beans in place of red.
"cannelini beans (aka chick peas)" - surely not?

Old 10-27-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Hey Bucky, Garbanzos are Chick Peas, not cannellini.

Sorry, PF, I posted my reply to this before seeing your post.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Sorry, PF, I posted my reply to this before seeing your post.
Don't be too hard on Bucky for his error. He drinks that Joisey water after all. It make him popular on Halloween though.l He glows in the dark.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, that's what i get for posting in the middle of the night while trying to multi-task at work.

i'll repost my corrections tonight.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I make a soup with white beans, chopped tomatoes, kale, potatoes, and linguica sausage (you can substitute chorizo or even andouille). It's great this time of year!
Doing a white bean soup tonight. I have a smoked ham hock bone from a terrine I made yesterday(pics to follow tomorrow). No kale, that's too darned healthy, but lots of veggies and gonna load it up with parmesan cheese and some hot crusty bread. Some ice cold Coli Albani to wash it all down and help me sleep...
Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
oh, one more: mash them and add to mashed potatoes. or mashed cauliflower. or mashed turnips or rutebegas.

ok, that's more than one.
I like the idea of mashing them with potatoes. Potassium overloaded potatoes!

So far we've come up with putting BBQ sauce on them, fatty smoked meats on them, and cheese on them. Take the edge off with some veggies, and call it a day.

Maybe I'd better go with kale ^^^ :(
Old 10-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

i made some corrections:

try to stay away from canned beans to reduce the salt, or at least rinse canned beans really well. get rid of the gloop.

i like plain chick peas (aka garbonzo beans, although they're really a healthy, high protein legume) on salads.
and of course there's hummus - a dip made from mashed garbonzo beans/chick peas. you can make a lot of different hummi (hummuses?) by adding things like roasted red peppers, garlic, various herbs, diced hot peppers, hot pepper sauce, minced artichoke hearts or hearts of palm, and so on. i really like it garlic-y and spicey hot.

okay, i realize now that you were looking for white bean recipes.

i wonder if you could make a hummus from mashed white beans? hmm, gotta try that one.

for real boston baked beans, you start with white navy beans. you can fake some of the ingredients to make it healthier like replacing the bacon with something flavourful but healthy like smoked turkey necks. i couldn't bring myself to do that, but someone might. smoked turkey necks look like a turd or an expanded view of an ebola virus. you can also adjust the molasses to reduce calories, and maybe add splenda to get some of thd sweetness back.

you know, sometimes ya gotta live a little or what's the point of being healthy and living to 125 years old? you ain't goin' anywhere fast at that age, lol. ok, maybe to the funeral home, but i digress.

back to actual cannelini (white) beans: i used to make a dish of beans and blanched baby shrimp, aka popcorn shrimp. it was served on a bed of iceberg lettuce in a vinaigrette of minced shallots, shaved celery, lemon, evoo, and vinegar. mmm, i have to make that again soon. you even eat the now dressed lettuce bed as a kind of salad.

white beans are also great in escarole e fagiole soup (the beans are the fagiole). you can sub kale if you can't find 'scarole.

beans also go well in minestrone soup.

there's also rice and bean burritos. just use white beans in place of red, brown rice, and veggie cheese.

sorry about the initial confusion.

hth.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post

So far we've come up with putting BBQ sauce on them, fatty smoked meats on them, and cheese on them. Take the edge off with some veggies, and call it a day.

hey, i was just trying to help. so was everyone else. and they even helped me out.

yup, potatoes and kale. that's all we got.

hey, that was not very inchristian of you...

just kidding.

try the shrimp and bean salad. it's healthy and delicious.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:10 PM   #20
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post

Well, I have another suggestion for what you could go do, but you probably wouldn't like it.

Have a nice day.

Tags
beans