"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Looks like i am going to bein a complete minority here, but i think they use long grain rice in Chineese restaurants. The only thing is to use the rice maker. Go to any Asian market and check what kind of rice they sell there. also ask them what to do. I'm sure they will tell you the same thing I did. All you have to do is to figure out water-rice proportion.
Not a complete minority. I believe that jasmine rice (which I suggested) is a long grain rice.

Charlie - have you been to United Noodle? That is my favorite asian market. I can spend a lot of time and money there

Real Reason - There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good. (Storypeople.com)
JenMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:08 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Perfect Steamed Rice + Update from China | Jaden's Steamy Kitchen

This link may be of use to you. We use Jasmine rice in Australia but I don't know if it is the same in the US. Now I have only looked around a bit in this website but I do know that there is a bit of swearing on other pages so be warned if sensitive to such things, but she sounds interesting.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:23 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Hello Chave

The type of rice u use is important.
The American par boiled rice is not the one to choose. The texture is not right for Chinese style rice. Dont choose Basmati rice either.
Just choose a regular type of rice. Put 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. Cover and cook until it starts bubbling. Then turn off the heat and let it finish cooking on the after heat. When I am cooking rice, I usually heat the rice, then remove water and add new water in order to avoid the Chinese type of clumpiness. If u dont wash the starch out like this, the rice should turn out Chinese style.

Mel
Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
well i made Chinese last night... Here is one of the dishes, i used some short grain rice from the asisan section of my supermarket and cooked it in my rice cooker. 1 cup of water for every cup of rice. It was very sticky and very easy to mold. i put it in the top of a butter dish to mold this shape and it held without issue.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
White Rice - How do the Chinese do it??
5,000 years of practice might have something to do with it.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
CharlieD,
I don't know about short vs. long rice, but based on the requirement (gooey) it should be the type of rice that has higher content of starch.
Fisher's Mom LOL,
I used to love my Mom's rice until I lived in Brazil. There, everybody eats rice EVERY day and is prepared very dry and white as snow...I guess I picked up the habit there and since then, my Mom hates when I make jokes about her way to cook rice.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:39 AM   #17
Head Chef

jersey that looks great. Is that Chicken or pork it . All I need is a fork or chop sticks.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:31 AM   #18
Senior Cook

One important step that I learned while working at the Korean Restaurant is that it is VERY important to wash your rice before cooking. I tend to recommend that it gets washed until the water is no longer white and hazy. You'll notice lots of starch at first, but once you wash that away, your water will stay clear..

I also recommend the rice cooker. Walmart has several models that are more than adequate. Sarah and I have a 10 cup rice maker.

As for the long grain versus short grain. No one Asian food restaurant serves the same. At our restaurant, we drove 5 hours to Chicago to get a special blend.. So, it really just matters to the restaurant owners.

-Brad
Old 11-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
jersey that looks great. Is that Chicken or pork it . All I need is a fork or chop sticks.
its Sesame chicken.... boneless chicken breast, cubed, and fried in a thick batter w/ the sesame glaze over it. recipe is in the other thread
Old 11-04-2007, 02:06 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMN View Post
Not a complete minority. I believe that jasmine rice (which I suggested) is a long grain rice.

Charlie - have you been to United Noodle? That is my favorite asian market. I can spend a lot of time and money there
No, I haven't, where is it?

Tags
None