White Rice - How do the Chinese do it??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am not cuite sure that gooey is exactly the way Cnineese rice should be describe. I do not think it is. It stiky, but not gooey, in my opinion.

Gooey rice vs. washed rice

One important step that I learned while working at the Korean Restaurant is that it is VERY important to wash your rice before cooking. I tend to recommend that it gets washed until the water is no longer white and hazy. You'll notice lots of starch at first, but once you wash that away, your water will stay clear...

candelbc,
I don't believe washing the rice before cooking is a good suggestion to the intention of the original post. If you want gooey, sticky rice, you want to keep the starch on the rice. Nothing wrong with your suggestion, I actually love the rice this way, but if you want it gooey I don't think is a good idea.

candelbc,
I don't believe washing the rice before cooking is a good suggestion to the intention of the original post. If you want gooey, sticky rice, you want to keep the starch on the rice. Nothing wrong with your suggestion, I actually love the rice this way, but if you want it gooey I don't think is a good idea.

Interestingly, though, if you read the recipe posted by Bilby above, the Chinese-American women who writes the blog suggests washing the rice till the water runs clear. Maybe the starch is *in* the rice, rather than *on* the rice, so the washing accomplishes something else, I don't know. But her rice looks pretty sticky in the photo :)

candelbc,

Interestingly, though, if you read the recipe posted by Bilby above, the Chinese-American woman who writes the blog suggests washing the rice till the water runs clear. I don't know why this would work, but her rice looks pretty sticky in the photo :)

How can I make my white rice come out just like the rice you get at chinese take-out places? Theirs is always so starchy and sticky, which is how I like it.

You're looking for "Jasmin" brand rice.

Try also Thai rice if you can't find Jasmin brand.

The proper ratio for water to rice is 1.5 parts water for 1 part of rice.

I'm with CharlieD and company. Every chinese restaurant that I have been to serves long grain white rice as their standard; and they use rice cookers, which while great for white rice, imo is not so hot for brown.

One thing that should be mentioned. While rinsing is a common practice, since white rice has the outer layers removed, they add vitamins that stick to outside of the kernel. By washing you are washing the vitamins down the drain. That may or may not be of concern to you.

jerseyjay14 's plate makes me mouth watering.

Calrose rice is a good choice. Before cooking, the rice needs to be soaked for at least 30 minutes. Generally, water:rice=5:3. Any rice cooker can do that. I don't think Chinese restaurants use expensive and special rice cooker.

When calrose rice is used to make suchi, Japanese wash rice fully by rubbing, so that rice is shiny and not sticking together.

Go to Costco and get a bag of Homai. You need the right kind of rice as there are many different kinds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom