White Rice - How do the Chinese do it??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chave982

Senior Cook
How can I make my white rice come out just like the rice you get at chinese take-out places? Theirs is always so starchy and sticky, which is how I like it.

I thought it comes out that way because they cram it into one of those containers while it's still steaming.....

short grain rice is the way to go like the above poster stated. id suggest a cheap 2 or 3 cup rice cooker/steamer. you can pick one up cheap for like 15-20 bucks and it really helps make it more fluffly/sticky. once its done leave it in the seamer, half covered for another 10 minutes and it will come out in one big block stck together. perfect for molding sushami or molding for garnish

My rice comes out so much better now that I have a rice cooker even though I thought I made great rice on the stove top. Personally, I use jasmine rice that I buy at the oriental market.

Hello chave982,
I sincerely think sticky and starchy rice is disgusting (this is the way my Mom prepares it LOL) but here are some tips from her cooking style:

1) Use risotto rice (short-grain) which starch content is perfect for creamy rice.
Italian Arborio, Vialone Nano or Carnaroli are the most popular.
Argentinian Carnaroli is also a good option.
I doubt a Chinese restaurant will use any of these rices, I'd ask them what they use and how they cook it.

2) Use fresher rice, the longer is stored, the dryer it becomes.
3) When cooking, use high temp. (near boiling temp. water), same when sateeing.
Starch is like glue and will react (stick) better on a higher temp. environment.
4) My Mom tends to let her rice cook longer, so I recommend doing this too.

I hope this helps.

Hello chave982,
I sincerely think sticky and starchy rice is disgusting (this is the way my Mom prepares it LOL) but here are some tips from her cooking style:

1) Use risotto rice (short-grain) which starch content is perfect for creamy rice.
Italian Arborio, Vialone Nano or Carnaroli are the most popular.
Argentinian Carnaroli is also a good option.
I doubt a Chinese restaurant will use any of these rices, I'd ask them what they use and how they cook it.

2) Use fresher rice, the longer is stored, the dryer it becomes.
3) When cooking, use high temp. (near boiling temp. water), same when sateeing.
Starch is like glue and will react (stick) better on a higher temp. environment.
4) My Mom tends to let her rice cook longer, so I recommend doing this too.

I hope this helps.
So funny, wysiwyg. My mom makes sticky, gummy rice, too and I tend to not care for it. But, there are times when I prefer it for certain meals. My kids like it best when I'm serving rice and gravy. You can shape it into a little volcano like mashed potatoes and then put a dent in the top to hold the gravy. Also, they like sticky rice when serving beef stew over the top. It seems easier for them to get the stew/rice per bite ratio perfect, or so they tell me.

another option... just buy a large box of white rice from your nearest chinese takeout place. when im pressed for time this is what i do. and its only like 79 cents!:chef:

Looks like i am going to bein a complete minority here, but i think they use long grain rice in Chineese restaurants. The only thing is to use the rice maker. Go to any Asian market and check what kind of rice they sell there. also ask them what to do. I'm sure they will tell you the same thing I did. All you have to do is to figure out water-rice proportion.

Looks like i am going to bein a complete minority here, but i think they use long grain rice in Chineese restaurants. The only thing is to use the rice maker. Go to any Asian market and check what kind of rice they sell there. also ask them what to do. I'm sure they will tell you the same thing I did. All you have to do is to figure out water-rice proportion.

Not a complete minority. I believe that jasmine rice (which I suggested) is a long grain rice.

Charlie - have you been to United Noodle? That is my favorite asian market. I can spend a lot of time and money there

Hello Chave:)

The type of rice u use is important.
The American par boiled rice is not the one to choose. The texture is not right for Chinese style rice. Dont choose Basmati rice either.
Just choose a regular type of rice. Put 2 cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. Cover and cook until it starts bubbling. Then turn off the heat and let it finish cooking on the after heat. When I am cooking rice, I usually heat the rice, then remove water and add new water in order to avoid the Chinese type of clumpiness. If u dont wash the starch out like this, the rice should turn out Chinese style.

Mel

well i made Chinese last night... Here is one of the dishes, i used some short grain rice from the asisan section of my supermarket and cooked it in my rice cooker. 1 cup of water for every cup of rice. It was very sticky and very easy to mold. i put it in the top of a butter dish to mold this shape and it held without issue.

img_503165_0_4460440f7eacee5c8e6d85d0280b48f9.jpg

CharlieD,
I don't know about short vs. long rice, but based on the requirement (gooey) it should be the type of rice that has higher content of starch.
Fisher's Mom LOL,
I used to love my Mom's rice until I lived in Brazil. There, everybody eats rice EVERY day and is prepared very dry and white as snow...I guess I picked up the habit there and since then, my Mom hates when I make jokes about her way to cook rice.

One important step that I learned while working at the Korean Restaurant is that it is VERY important to wash your rice before cooking. I tend to recommend that it gets washed until the water is no longer white and hazy. You'll notice lots of starch at first, but once you wash that away, your water will stay clear..

I also recommend the rice cooker. Walmart has several models that are more than adequate. Sarah and I have a 10 cup rice maker.

As for the long grain versus short grain. No one Asian food restaurant serves the same. At our restaurant, we drove 5 hours to Chicago to get a special blend.. So, it really just matters to the restaurant owners.

-Brad

Not a complete minority. I believe that jasmine rice (which I suggested) is a long grain rice.

Charlie - have you been to United Noodle? That is my favorite asian market. I can spend a lot of time and money there

No, I haven't, where is it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom