"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #11
Executive Chef

A dry pasta, like Barilla or Ronzoni will all taste the same, regardless of the shape. The shape plays in when you decide what sauce you are going to serve it with, or what you are going to toss it with.

Shells or fusilli are wonderful with sauces with lots of texture, like meat sauce. The meat will stick in the grooves.

Something thin and light like vermicelli or capellini are perfect for light sauces like a primavera or even a very light clam sauce.

A tube type pasta like ziti or penne or tubetini are perfect with sauces of medium weight but with added ingredients like peas, pancetta, chopped tomatoes, etc...

So, while they all taste the same, the very shape and size makes all the difference.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
hahah i never thought of texture

Mmmm this penne is great
Ewwww get the angel hair away i cant stand long stringy things in my mouth :D :P

Old 08-23-2006, 06:29 PM   #13
Executive Chef

true true...no one would ever put a bolognese on angel hair, or a fresh tomato and basil sauce over fettucini. Penne gets this and zitti gets that. Clams go with linguini, and alfredo goes with fettucini. Why? Mario says so!
Old 08-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
ya
ive had penne with that alfredo and tomato sauce mix
Old 08-23-2006, 10:02 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
My favourites at the moment are bucatini and mezza zita....both are long tubular pastas with holes in the middle, like straws. Bucantini are skinny and mezza zita are bigger.
Bucatini is evil pasta! lol I cooked for about 70 people (chicken with wine, olive oil, rosemary, kalamata olives, capers, tomatoes, etc.) and I served the sauce with bucatini - YOU CANNOT CREATE SUCTION WITH A HOLE IN THE MIDDLE!!!!

You know how when you eat pasta there still may be some hanging out of your mouth but you can take it in in one little suck/bite? Well, bucatini doesn't twirl and if by chance you can get it in your mouth you cannot suck it in because of that darned hole!!!!! It was quite hilarious watching everyone try to eat it and figuring out the best way to eat it!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:38 PM   #16
Head Chef

hmmmm
jerk your head back
and catch it in your mouth :D
Old 08-24-2006, 04:30 AM   #17
Head Chef

hehehe Kitchenelf. I had some with a group of Italians in a restaurant (my first pasta in Italy, lol), and they cut it with the side of there forks into managable pieces, lol. The only time I have seen Italians cut pasta! Mind you, I had my napkin like a bib, they tried to eat with napkins on their laps.....I didn't get spattered!
Old 08-24-2006, 05:18 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Well, to be honest it is nearly impossible to eat bucatini amatriciana in a neat and tidy fashion, if there is one I haven't discovered it... (if you cut it in small pieces, which I have never seen anyone doing, in the heart of Roma, the home of bucatini amatriciana, it will take away all the fun of eating this lovely dish... ).
We enjoy this dish always at home, as we have a perfect recipe and very quick and easy to make, so I just make sure to wear a large apron or napkin around my neck if I am wearing something white
Old 08-24-2006, 08:06 AM   #19
Master Chef

I looked and this hasn't been brought up yet. Certainly the mouth-feel, or texture of the pasta is part of the edating experience, but so is the flavor. As was stated, different pastas have differing aboilities to stick to various sauces. But there is one more difference. Lets compare rigatoni, or penni with macaroni for instance. Both have a hole in the middle. But the wall of the pasta is much thicker in both the rigatoni or penne that it is in the elbow macaroni. The pasta noodle has a sweet, starchy flavor that plays an important role in the recipe. When serving macaroni, the pasta serves mainly as a vehicle for the other flavors and contributes genty to the expereince. You can hardly even taste it in dishes like macaroni salad, or tomato-based sauces. While the flavor of the other two mentioned is more robust and exerts a strong influence on the overall flavor of the dish.

Think of the last lasagna you ate. Lasagna noodles are thick, with a robust flavor that needs to stand up to the other very flavorful ingredients in the meal.

So, to summarize, different shapes allow you to taylor the pairing of noodle and sauce, condiments, or oils, , to the taste, texture, and ability to stick or remain seperate from the other ingredients in the dish.

And besides, have you ever tried stuffing a macaroni noodle? Go 'head. Try it. Just use a tiny spoon. I'd much rather stuff a manicotti nodle myself.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #20
Head Chef

Oh, very cool.
What do you stuff in the pasta?

Tags
None