"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-22-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Why are there different shapes of pasta?

Why, they all taste the same... well to me
but (mind my spelling) penne, spaghetti, fetticuini, bowties, ect. they all taste the same.
I know there are a few that are stuffed but i just dont get the others...

Old 08-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboenomo
Why, they all taste the same... well to me
but (mind my spelling) penne, spaghetti, fetticuini, bowties, ect. they all taste the same.
I know there are a few that are stuffed but i just dont get the others...
Welcome to the site!!!!!!!!

Well, some sauces are very heavy and meaty and would take a bigger pasta, such as mostaccioli, for example.

Other pastas are very delicate like white clam sauce and take one of my favorites, linguini. The linquini is not as small as say angel hair so more sauce sticks to the pasta.

Basically the bigger the pasta the heavier the sauce - rigate is any pasta with ridges - these hold even extra sauce. Radiatore is good when I make a pasta salad where I want all the dressing or olive oil to creep into all the circular parts and cling on.

Does that help at all with the thought process behind choosing the right shape for the dish? And yes, they all taste the same until you get into the spinach pasta, etc.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 AM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Oh
ok
I never thought of that.
When I saw you put meaty sauces i thought you were gonna say smaller pastas go with it to make it less filling.

Cool :D
Old 08-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
LOL - that makes sense though!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:17 AM   #5
Head Chef

They do all taste the same, but try using the same sauce with different pastas, (even ones they are not "meant" for) to see the different effects. Carbonara with a spagetti or linguine is deliciously lightly comforting, with angel's hair it becaomes stodge.....(much to my husband's disgust there are times on bad days in winter I prefer the stodge). And those tiny pastas are really filling. They become denser and,more substancial in a pasta bake than larger shells or farfalle.

Kitchenself's explanation is spot on, but I still recommend you experiment to find unusual combinations that suit your taste.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Interesting.. I thought it was to add variety so people didn't get bored with the food.. hah

http://www.CookingItUp.com - Share your recipes with others!
CookBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
They all may taste pretty much the same, but the texture in the mouth differs significantly with the shape (e.g., angle hair vs. rigatoni), and that's a large part of the pleasure of eating -- otherwise, we could throw everything in the blender and drink it through a straw.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
KE pretty much explained it all, spot on, I just would like to add that with pasta, not only the flavour itself but also the texture contributes to the enjoyment of eating pasta, and the variety of shapes provides some different "feel" when you bite into them. Exactly what kind of sauce goes with what shapes, there are some old standards (amatriciana with bucatini, penne rigate with arabbiata, vongole with linguini etc.), but pretty much depends on your own preference and taste. With some recipes I could use just about any shapes, but some others I have some preferences, though it is difficult for me to explain why... also some people loves slurping on long pastas, others prefer short versions, which makes less mess as you eat them.
Just experiment with different shapes and recipes, maybe you discover some differences or your own favourites/preferences... have fun!! That is what pasta eating/cooking is all about!!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Welcome to the site!!!!!!!!

Well, some sauces are very heavy and meaty and would take a bigger pasta, such as mostaccioli, for example.

Other pastas are very delicate like white clam sauce and take one of my favorites, linguini. The linquini is not as small as say angel hair so more sauce sticks to the pasta.

Basically the bigger the pasta the heavier the sauce - rigate is any pasta with ridges - these hold even extra sauce. Radiatore is good when I make a pasta salad where I want all the dressing or olive oil to creep into all the circular parts and cling on.

Does that help at all with the thought process behind choosing the right shape for the dish? And yes, they all taste the same until you get into the spinach pasta, etc.
and besides that explantion one shape pasta would be boring
Old 08-23-2006, 02:55 PM   #10
Head Chef

My favourites at the moment are bucatini and mezza zita....both are long tubular pastas with holes in the middle, like straws. Bucantini are skinny and mezza zita are bigger.

Tags
None