Why are there different shapes of pasta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
Why, they all taste the same... well to me
but (mind my spelling) penne, spaghetti, fetticuini, bowties, ect. they all taste the same.
I know there are a few that are stuffed but i just dont get the others...

goboenomo said:
Why, they all taste the same... well to me
but (mind my spelling) penne, spaghetti, fetticuini, bowties, ect. they all taste the same.
I know there are a few that are stuffed but i just dont get the others...

Welcome to the site!!!!!!!!

Well, some sauces are very heavy and meaty and would take a bigger pasta, such as mostaccioli, for example.

Other pastas are very delicate like white clam sauce and take one of my favorites, linguini. The linquini is not as small as say angel hair so more sauce sticks to the pasta.

Basically the bigger the pasta the heavier the sauce - rigate is any pasta with ridges - these hold even extra sauce. Radiatore is good when I make a pasta salad where I want all the dressing or olive oil to creep into all the circular parts and cling on.

Does that help at all with the thought process behind choosing the right shape for the dish? And yes, they all taste the same until you get into the spinach pasta, etc.

Oh
ok
I never thought of that.
When I saw you put meaty sauces i thought you were gonna say smaller pastas go with it to make it less filling.

Cool :D

They do all taste the same, but try using the same sauce with different pastas, (even ones they are not "meant" for) to see the different effects. Carbonara with a spagetti or linguine is deliciously lightly comforting, with angel's hair it becaomes stodge.....(much to my husband's disgust there are times on bad days in winter I prefer the stodge). And those tiny pastas are really filling. They become denser and,more substancial in a pasta bake than larger shells or farfalle.

Kitchenself's explanation is spot on, but I still recommend you experiment to find unusual combinations that suit your taste.

Interesting.. I thought it was to add variety so people didn't get bored with the food.. hah

They all may taste pretty much the same, but the texture in the mouth differs significantly with the shape (e.g., angle hair vs. rigatoni), and that's a large part of the pleasure of eating -- otherwise, we could throw everything in the blender and drink it through a straw.

KE pretty much explained it all, spot on, I just would like to add that with pasta, not only the flavour itself but also the texture contributes to the enjoyment of eating pasta, and the variety of shapes provides some different "feel" when you bite into them. Exactly what kind of sauce goes with what shapes, there are some old standards (amatriciana with bucatini, penne rigate with arabbiata, vongole with linguini etc.), but pretty much depends on your own preference and taste. With some recipes I could use just about any shapes, but some others I have some preferences, though it is difficult for me to explain why... also some people loves slurping on long pastas, others prefer short versions, which makes less mess as you eat them.
Just experiment with different shapes and recipes, maybe you discover some differences or your own favourites/preferences... have fun!! That is what pasta eating/cooking is all about!!:chef:

kitchenelf said:
Welcome to the site!!!!!!!!

Well, some sauces are very heavy and meaty and would take a bigger pasta, such as mostaccioli, for example.

Other pastas are very delicate like white clam sauce and take one of my favorites, linguini. The linquini is not as small as say angel hair so more sauce sticks to the pasta.

Basically the bigger the pasta the heavier the sauce - rigate is any pasta with ridges - these hold even extra sauce. Radiatore is good when I make a pasta salad where I want all the dressing or olive oil to creep into all the circular parts and cling on.

Does that help at all with the thought process behind choosing the right shape for the dish? And yes, they all taste the same until you get into the spinach pasta, etc.

and besides that explantion one shape pasta would be boring:ROFLMAO:

My favourites at the moment are bucatini and mezza zita....both are long tubular pastas with holes in the middle, like straws. Bucantini are skinny and mezza zita are bigger.

A dry pasta, like Barilla or Ronzoni will all taste the same, regardless of the shape. The shape plays in when you decide what sauce you are going to serve it with, or what you are going to toss it with.

Shells or fusilli are wonderful with sauces with lots of texture, like meat sauce. The meat will stick in the grooves.

Something thin and light like vermicelli or capellini are perfect for light sauces like a primavera or even a very light clam sauce.

A tube type pasta like ziti or penne or tubetini are perfect with sauces of medium weight but with added ingredients like peas, pancetta, chopped tomatoes, etc...

So, while they all taste the same, the very shape and size makes all the difference.

hahah i never thought of texture

Mmmm this penne is great
Ewwww get the angel hair away i cant stand long stringy things in my mouth :D :P

true true...no one would ever put a bolognese on angel hair, or a fresh tomato and basil sauce over fettucini. Penne gets this and zitti gets that. Clams go with linguini, and alfredo goes with fettucini. Why? Mario says so!

lulu said:
My favourites at the moment are bucatini and mezza zita....both are long tubular pastas with holes in the middle, like straws. Bucantini are skinny and mezza zita are bigger.

Bucatini is evil pasta! lol I cooked for about 70 people (chicken with wine, olive oil, rosemary, kalamata olives, capers, tomatoes, etc.) and I served the sauce with bucatini - YOU CANNOT CREATE SUCTION WITH A HOLE IN THE MIDDLE!!!! :ROFLMAO:

You know how when you eat pasta there still may be some hanging out of your mouth but you can take it in in one little suck/bite? Well, bucatini doesn't twirl and if by chance you can get it in your mouth you cannot suck it in because of that darned hole!!!!! It was quite hilarious watching everyone try to eat it and figuring out the best way to eat it!!!!

hehehe Kitchenelf. I had some with a group of Italians in a restaurant (my first pasta in Italy, lol), and they cut it with the side of there forks into managable pieces, lol. The only time I have seen Italians cut pasta! Mind you, I had my napkin like a bib, they tried to eat with napkins on their laps.....I didn't get spattered!

Well, to be honest it is nearly impossible to eat bucatini amatriciana in a neat and tidy fashion, if there is one I haven't discovered it... (if you cut it in small pieces, which I have never seen anyone doing, in the heart of Roma, the home of bucatini amatriciana, it will take away all the fun of eating this lovely dish...:rolleyes: ).
We enjoy this dish always at home, as we have a perfect recipe and very quick and easy to make, so I just make sure to wear a large apron or napkin around my neck if I am wearing something white:LOL:

I looked and this hasn't been brought up yet. Certainly the mouth-feel, or texture of the pasta is part of the edating experience, but so is the flavor. As was stated, different pastas have differing aboilities to stick to various sauces. But there is one more difference. Lets compare rigatoni, or penni with macaroni for instance. Both have a hole in the middle. But the wall of the pasta is much thicker in both the rigatoni or penne that it is in the elbow macaroni. The pasta noodle has a sweet, starchy flavor that plays an important role in the recipe. When serving macaroni, the pasta serves mainly as a vehicle for the other flavors and contributes genty to the expereince. You can hardly even taste it in dishes like macaroni salad, or tomato-based sauces. While the flavor of the other two mentioned is more robust and exerts a strong influence on the overall flavor of the dish.

Think of the last lasagna you ate. Lasagna noodles are thick, with a robust flavor that needs to stand up to the other very flavorful ingredients in the meal.

So, to summarize, different shapes allow you to taylor the pairing of noodle and sauce, condiments, or oils, , to the taste, texture, and ability to stick or remain seperate from the other ingredients in the dish.

And besides, have you ever tried stuffing a macaroni noodle? Go 'head. Try it. Just use a tiny spoon.:ROFLMAO: I'd much rather stuff a manicotti nodle myself.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom