"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-30-2007, 10:30 AM   #11
Senior Cook

No peeky either.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:37 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Ill try these things. I wasn't washing the rice. It's long grain rice, so it takes 45 minutes to cook. The instructions say 2 1/4 cup water for each cup of rice.

It's this brand they have it all over the place:
Amazon.com: RiceSelect Long Grain Texmati Brown Rice, 36-Ounce Jars (Pack of 4): Grocery

Old 03-30-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama Queen
Okay URMANIAC13, how much does 10 Euro dollars translate into American dollars? And where did you get that Euro Dollar sign? Cooool.
Right now 10 should be about 13 USD.
We have the "" sign on the E key, you can get that by pressing "Alt Gr" key at the same time. But set up of a keyboard can vary depending on where you are in the world. We do also have "" signs and "$" signs though, so it is probably somewhere on your keyboard too, if it is not in the same location as ours...!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:17 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
My suggestion is - once you bring the water to a boil and reduce it, cover your pot - make sure your water is at a simmer (bubbly but not a rolling boil). If it's not bubbling a bit then you are not evaporating the water quickly enough and this is getting your rice mushy. If at the end of the cooking process you take a few grains off the top and they are done but you still hear water boiling in there - remove the lid and turn the heat up a BIT. Stand there and when you don't hear the water boiling anymore then it has evaporated. I actually put my hear down to the pot and listen. With the lid off you are just letting the steam escape versus steaming your rice more, making it even more mushy. I truly think you just aren't bringing it to a high enough simmer.

Also, Texmati is a brown rice, which has to be cooked longer than even a long-grain white rice. The only time I would peak is after you put the lid on and the heat has been reduced. Wait a couple minutes to make sure your water is at a simmer (you want to see it bubbling).

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:37 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Ah, I didn't know texmati was brown.. then it can take considerably longer than white rice to cook. My whole grain rice takes over an hour to be cooked, but by soaking it in water with a pinch of baking soda shorten the procedure well.
In order to test the cooking time, I suggest the second option Sarah gave to cook the rice, this way it is much easier to check the consistency. If you are steaming, you shouldn't raise the cover too often, or not at all if possible to cook it properly.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
urm - I am of the opinion, just like you - DO NOT OPEN THAT LID! LOL

I think, however, that the OP isn't doing an actual simmer thus her water is not cooking off. Anymore than that one peek to see if it's simmering and the rice police will get her!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
urm - I am of the opinion, just like you - DO NOT OPEN THAT LID! LOL

I think, however, that the OP isn't doing an actual simmer thus her water is not cooking off. Anymore than that one peek to see if it's simmering and the rice police will get her!
I too am a little impatient with the cooking of rice. Sometimes I have the heat too low because I have too much going on with the other ingredients and I don't want the mess of it overflowing when it boils up. I always think that I can turn the heat up when I am ready for it to be done but that does not work and the rice is mushy and sticky. I just need to cook the rice and then start the preparations for the other stuff. I also had the habit of making too much rice. I would start with the right pot size and then add an extra serving of water & rice. There was not enough room in the pot and I got grainy, mushy, straight up mess. I got a rice cooker a couple of months ago. After checking it out and showing it off, the cooker went into the cabinet and the instructions are somewhere else....will I ever connect the two? I know that the manual had some do's & don'ts that I want to see before I use it. As for peeking under the lid, it would be a good idea to get some pots & skillets that have glass lids. You could probably buy one for cooking rice without having to purchase a whole set.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:04 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I use short grain brown rice
one cup of rice in pan
add 2 cups liquid ...I use chicken broth

heat medium and bring to a boil

after it comes to a boil lower heat
to low or simmer and let it cook until liquid is absorbed.

listen to hear the boil. DO NOT REMOVE LID....at least 30 to 45 minutes

you can take a look after 30 minutes...don't want it to burn

If you want rice to cook quicker...soak your rice overnight. Drain the water
place in a pan and then add your liquid 1 cup rice 2 cups liquid
Old 03-31-2007, 07:23 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I cant offer any clever suggestions since rice has always been problematic for me as well. I switched to boil-in-a-bag rice and it comes out perfect everytime. I dont have the patience for long cooking rice.

Tags
None