"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-30-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Why is my rice always mushy?

I am making "Texmati" texas grown longgrain basmati rice. I follow the instructions but whatever I do, the rice is edible but sort of "mushy" with the grains somewhat oily and clumped together.

Am I doing something wrong? Is the mushiness because I peeked under the lid during the cooking process? Or I didn't keep the water at a high enough temperature? Or I used too much water?

Old 03-30-2007, 05:15 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Hello Scrambledeggs

U could try this.
Cook the rice, with plenty of water, until the water turns cloudy.
Pour off the water. Add new water, and pour this off. Do this, until water is clear.
Then leave just enough water to finish cooking the rice.
This washing the rice, takes out a lot of that starchy stuff, that makes the rice stick together.

Mel

Old 03-30-2007, 06:11 AM   #3
Executive Chef

My best guesses would be too much water or too low a temperature.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I am not familiar with "texmati", but if it is similar to basmati all around, it should take less time to cook than other types of rice, about 12minutes max. Boil them in plenty of water as you do with pasta, instead of just enough water and steam. When it comes to 10-11minutes, test the texture by scooping up a morsel or two with your slotted spoon. From there cook to your desired consistency, and drain. Once you get the cooking time down, a rice cooking ball comes in very handy.

Rice cooking ball vvv

Old 03-30-2007, 07:45 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I've never seen a rice cooking ball. That's interesting, Ur!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:06 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I agree with Vera that your problem could be too much water. Normally the proportion is 1 cup basmati rice to 1-3/4 cups water (1-1/2 cups for firmer rice). To cook rice, first wash it until the water is clear, drain well. Add water and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer until all water has been absorbed. Let stand, covered, for a few minutes before serving.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
I've never seen a rice cooking ball. That's interesting, Ur!
Here is a bit more info on the rice cooking ball... scroll it down to near bottom and you will see it. Though price is very exaggerated... we bought it for merely 10!!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
Head Chef

i'll tell u two techniques to prevent rice from being sticky and clumped.

1-- if u r cooking one cup of rice,put 2 cups of water on heat.when it starts boiling add well washed rice,without the water that u soaked it in.and add juice of half a lemon.let it cook without too much stirring.when the water is reduced to just about half a cup in total,turn the flame to a very low one and cover and let the rice cook in steam.they should be ready in about 10 minutes after that.And remember,ALWAYS fluff rice when u open the lid.

2-- like pasta,fill the pan with plenty of water,when it comes to boil,put the rice in.let cook on high flame.they should be fully cooked in about 8 to 10 minutes,or u can check.If the grains r swollen and big in size and they can be crushed easily between fingers,they r ready.quickly strain the rice in a strainer and throw away the water that has starch in it now from rice.then put the rice back in the pan and cook for 5 minutes on a very low flame so the little remaining water evaporates.After 5 minutes,turn off the heat,open the lid and fluff the rice.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Here is a bit more info on the rice cooking ball... scroll it down to near bottom and you will see it. Though price is very exaggerated... we bought it for merely 10!!
Okay URMANIAC13, how much does 10 Euro dollars translate into American dollars? And where did you get that Euro Dollar sign? Cooool.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

If the rice is mushy, it's because it's been cooked too long.

If you're cooking until the water is gone, try using less water. Also try higher heat.

Tags
None