"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-01-2007, 01:19 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexR View Post
Hi,
Is it simply that they add cream at the end?

I mean, I do use the right kind of rice, arborio or carnaroli.

I make a good enough risotto, and it absorbs plenty of liquid (wine and broth) but why, oh why, is risotto so much more unctuous when I eat out in a restaurant?

Yours sincerley,
Alex Rychlewski
Hi AlexR.

Perhaps you could post your recipe and method. There's some good info here:

http://italianfood.about.com/od/tips...a/aa091697.htm

If you want a richer risotto, stir in heavy cream in addition to the butter -- and I've seen some recipes that use cream cheese. Again, would help to see your recipe & method.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:22 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Ok, back to topic, and here's my two cents:

I agree with GB that we need to see the entire recipe, or at least the steps that you used to make it.

After the rice was cooked, did you take it off the heat, and fold in parmesan cheese and whole butter? That's what I do at work.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
Senior Cook

My business is words and, of course, words have different meanings depending on the context.

While an unctuous used-car salesman is a definitely slimy so-and-so, I agree with GB that the adjective is far and away a positive one when referring to food. No stretch at all.

As to my cooking method, here goes:

I cook the rice at medium-low heat in butter in a very large frying pan for perhaps 3-5 minutes. Then I add about 25 cl. of white wine. Thereafter, I ladle in chicken stock throughout the next, oh, 45 minutes or so.

I add other ingredients along the way (peas, diced meat, vegetables I have previously fried, etc.).

The rice is moist, there's enough left over liquid in the risotto to make a rich sauce, but it ain't *creamy*, as I said in my original post.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Oh, and I add the Parmesan cheese to the risotte just 5 minutes before serving it.

Alex R.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:40 PM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

What temp is the liquid when you add it? How often do you stir it?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 PM   #16
Head Chef

Perfect risotto can be made by using arborio or carnaroli rice, sauteed for a few minutes in butter, wine added and when the wine evaporates start adding 1/2 cup of hot chicken broth. Keep the heat at low so you only have a slow simmer. Stir constantly to develop the starch (which is why risotto is creamy) and when the chicken broth is evaportated add another 1/2 cup repeating the steps for about 25 minutes til the rice is cooked. Be careful not to overcook risotto or it becomes too starchy and mushy. During the last 10 minutes add whatever your going to add to it like mushrooms, peas, prosciutto etc. I always add freshly grated parmesan cheese at the last couple of minutes to keep the cheese from clumping. Perfect, creamy delicious risotto every time. I learned this from my mom who came from Italy and knows risotto.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

ok, yous made me go look (in a real, hardbound dictionary), it is derived from a latin root, meaning of or like the oil used in an annointment.

so, it refers to the oiliness/texture of an object, be it good or bad. SOME foods would benefit from being unctuous, others, not.

i maintain that describing creaminess in terms of rice as pleasently oily is a stretch.

i know you are, but what am i?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Bucky in terms of food it is not saying it is pleasantly oily in those words. It is saying it has a rich full mouth feel. It is saying the same thing, but in different words.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
ok, yous made me go look (in a real, hardbound dictionary), it is derived from a latin root, meaning of or like the oil used in an annointment.

so, it refers to the oiliness/texture of an object, be it good or bad. SOME foods would benefit from being unctuous, others, not.

i maintain that describing creaminess in terms of rice as pleasently oily is a stretch.

i know you are, but what am i?
OMG bt, have you ever watched the Nanny show (Nanny 911, I think)? I'm scared they're gonna create a naughty chair just for you. But I must admit, I have only ever heard the word unctuous used with very negative connotations. (I used to sell cars.)
Old 09-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, i know. i can't help it, having been raised in a family of writers and english teachers.

it means different things to different people. i've always heard it used as a negative adjective, but learned something today.

i'd better stop before i get "annointed" with some risotto.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None