Why is risotto so much *creamier* in restaurants compared to my own?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
Hi,
Is it simply that they add cream at the end? :bash:

I mean, I do use the right kind of rice, arborio or carnaroli.

I make a good enough risotto, and it absorbs plenty of liquid (wine and broth) but why, oh why, is risotto so much more unctuous when I eat out in a restaurant?

Yours sincerley,
Alex Rychlewski

ooh, good word, unctuous. :) it's a stretch on the definition, as it's usually used as a negative adjective.

i'm an expert by no means, having made risotto only a few times recently, but i conjecture that it was one of the following possible variables: the temp at which it's cooked; the size and shape of the cooking vessel; the method in which the liquids are added; the quality of the rice; and the method by which the rice is stirred.

my early attempts at risotto have been surprisingly successful. i dare say as good as restaurants. but it was a labor intensive pain the the, uhh, forearm. the best results were achieved by using imported italian arborio, chicken stock, butter, oo, salt, and shallots, and then nearly constantly stirring and folding the rice until it's completion in a 5 quart, stainless steel wide saute.
after the initial pour, liquid was added as the mixture began to thicken to an obvious point near sticking.

i tasted it so many times along the way that it was interesting to see how it was enjoyable in different ways, at different stages of doneness.

good question, alexr. i'll be very interested in the experienced answers to this one.

Last edited:
Without knowing exactly how you make yours there is no way for us to know. Detail the steps you take and that will help a lot.

Are you waiting for the liquid of absorb before you add the next batch? Is the liquid that you add hot? Are you stirring enough. Are you adding butter at the end? How much?

ooh, good word, unctuous. :) it's a stretch on the definition, as it's usually used as a negative adjective.
Hmm interesting. The only time I have heard that word used was in reference to food and it was always a positive description, such as the mouth feel from a good chicken stock. I looked the word up on Websters though and I learned something new. As Bucky points out it can be a negative as well.

Hmm interesting. The only time I have heard that word used was in reference to food and it was always a positive description, such as the mouth feel from a good chicken stock. I looked the word up on Websters though and I learned something new. As Bucky points out it can be a negative as well.

Negative indeed -- think of the stereotypical used-car salesman. Or better yet, think of Mr. Potter, oozing insincere earnestness, as he tries and almost succeeds in convincing George Bailey that the financially smart thing to do would be to sell him the bank. They shake hands, and Bailey's disgust at the touch of the old man, the oily residue that symbolized his nefarious plans, reminded Bailey that it's not money that makes life wonderful.

In the food world though, it is sometimes a positive. An unctuous stock is what you are after or in this case an unctuous risotto.

in the food world, it primarily means excessively oily or fatty. depending on your point of view, it's mostly intended as unpleasant.

i have no problem with tasty excess. :pig:

again, it's correct, but it's a stretch. ximenez?

what's the word for a word that has nearly opposite meanings, and can't seem to let things go? :-p

have we not strayed from creamy risotto?

Hi,
Is it simply that they add cream at the end? :bash:

I mean, I do use the right kind of rice, arborio or carnaroli.

I make a good enough risotto, and it absorbs plenty of liquid (wine and broth) but why, oh why, is risotto so much more unctuous when I eat out in a restaurant?

Yours sincerley,
Alex Rychlewski

Hi AlexR.

Perhaps you could post your recipe and method. There's some good info here:

http://italianfood.about.com/od/tipstricks1/a/aa091697.htm

If you want a richer risotto, stir in heavy cream in addition to the butter -- and I've seen some recipes that use cream cheese. Again, would help to see your recipe & method.

Last edited:
Ok, back to topic, and here's my two cents:

I agree with GB that we need to see the entire recipe, or at least the steps that you used to make it.

After the rice was cooked, did you take it off the heat, and fold in parmesan cheese and whole butter? That's what I do at work.

My business is words and, of course, words have different meanings depending on the context.

While an unctuous used-car salesman is a definitely slimy so-and-so, I agree with GB that the adjective is far and away a positive one when referring to food. No stretch at all.

As to my cooking method, here goes:

I cook the rice at medium-low heat in butter in a very large frying pan for perhaps 3-5 minutes. Then I add about 25 cl. of white wine. Thereafter, I ladle in chicken stock throughout the next, oh, 45 minutes or so.

I add other ingredients along the way (peas, diced meat, vegetables I have previously fried, etc.).

The rice is moist, there's enough left over liquid in the risotto to make a rich sauce, but it ain't *creamy*, as I said in my original post.

Best regards,
Alex R.

Oh, and I add the Parmesan cheese to the risotte just 5 minutes before serving it.

Alex R.

Perfect risotto can be made by using arborio or carnaroli rice, sauteed for a few minutes in butter, wine added and when the wine evaporates start adding 1/2 cup of hot chicken broth. Keep the heat at low so you only have a slow simmer. Stir constantly to develop the starch (which is why risotto is creamy) and when the chicken broth is evaportated add another 1/2 cup repeating the steps for about 25 minutes til the rice is cooked. Be careful not to overcook risotto or it becomes too starchy and mushy. During the last 10 minutes add whatever your going to add to it like mushrooms, peas, prosciutto etc. I always add freshly grated parmesan cheese at the last couple of minutes to keep the cheese from clumping. Perfect, creamy delicious risotto every time. I learned this from my mom who came from Italy and knows risotto.

ok, yous made me go look (in a real, hardbound dictionary), it is derived from a latin root, meaning of or like the oil used in an annointment.

so, it refers to the oiliness/texture of an object, be it good or bad. SOME foods would benefit from being unctuous, others, not.

i maintain that describing creaminess in terms of rice as pleasently oily is a stretch.

i know you are, but what am i?

Bucky in terms of food it is not saying it is pleasantly oily in those words. It is saying it has a rich full mouth feel. It is saying the same thing, but in different words.

ok, yous made me go look (in a real, hardbound dictionary), it is derived from a latin root, meaning of or like the oil used in an annointment.

so, it refers to the oiliness/texture of an object, be it good or bad. SOME foods would benefit from being unctuous, others, not.

i maintain that describing creaminess in terms of rice as pleasently oily is a stretch.

i know you are, but what am i?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: OMG bt, have you ever watched the Nanny show (Nanny 911, I think)? I'm scared they're gonna create a naughty chair just for you. But I must admit, I have only ever heard the word unctuous used with very negative connotations. (I used to sell cars.)

lol, i know. i can't help it, having been raised in a family of writers and english teachers.

it means different things to different people. i've always heard it used as a negative adjective, but learned something today. :smartass:

i'd better stop before i get "annointed" with some risotto. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom