Wild Rice is Nice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
I needed 1/2 a cup of cooked wild rice to add to my cornbread dressing. But the yield was 4 cups! Why? Because I adore wild rice.

Basic instructions:

1 cup raw wild rice, rinsed
3 cups water (or broth or stock - I used canned chicken stock mixed with water to make the 3 cups yesterday)
about 1/2 tsp. salt

Bring the liquid to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in the wild rice and salt. Cover and simmer on low heat about 55 minutes or until the "rice" (which isn't a rice at all but is a grass seed) bursts open and is nice and tender. Fluff with a fork.

Now, you can either eat the wild rice as is, add it to dressing like I did or add it to soup. :chef:

For a fun break from the ever-present sports which inevitably arrive on Thanksgiving television after the Macy's Day Parade (keeping in mind I don't have cable or satellite television) I found a really fun video from 1984 at the dollar store yesterday for a buck fifty :) Anyone remember 'Gremlins'? Circa 1984. Produced by Steven Spielburg, music by John Williams who also did many of the music for the Star Trek films along with Jerry Goldsmith (I'm really into movie music composers, the great unsung; you hear them but you don't notice... tsk tsk!)

Anyway, the film 'Gremlins' brings a whole new meaning to Christmas Eve :) "Mogwai!" Can anyone guess who did the (not listed in the credits on the video) voice of Gizmo, the sweet benign fuzzy little Mogwai named Gizmo?

What a fun movie. Okay, by todays standards the technology and animation is lame. Heh, so am I by today's standards :LOL: But what a fun movie! Beats watching football in my estimation.

Todays menu included cornbread dressing with wild rice, a roasted cornish hen (patted with salt, pepper and dried tarragon), wild rice on the side and gravy which I made from the giblets from the cornish hen and some pan drippings, not that there is much in the way of pan drippings from a tiny cornish hen. With me, gravy is hit or miss, in this case MISS! so it doesn't matter; gravy is not essential in my book. A split and seeded buttercup squash lightly brushed with butter and salt & pepper was roasted right next to the cornish hen for an hour. I spooned some of the dressing into the squash cups in the last 10 minutes of cooking just for fun. Turned out very nicely!

My LLL (Long Lost Love for those who don't know) John spent the day at the nursing home with his 90 year old mother who had a stroke last month :ohmy: so he couldn't have been here with me in any case.

Hope everyone who celebrates this had a good holiday.

Fraidy

Last edited:
FraidKnot said:
Anyway, the film 'Gremlins' brings a whole new meaning to Christmas Eve :) "Mogwai!" Can anyone guess who did the (not listed in the credits on the video) voice of Gizmo, the sweet benign fuzzy little Mogwai named Gizmo?

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0087363/fullcredits

Howie Mandel!

Wild Rice is great. I haven't had any (other than mixed with Long Grain from Uncle Ben's) in years.

Back
Top Bottom