"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 02-15-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Wild Rice=worms When Cooked???

EEK GADS!

This is the third time I've made wild rice that when it hits the hot oil, these little thingies come out and curl up.

DH asked me to do a casserole for him for work lunchean tomorrow so I'm doing it today, so all he has to do it take it out of the frig in the morning and go, not wait on me to finish it. It's a Hawaiian ham/pineapple/wild rice/mango/papaya/white rice dish with orange jam/soy/ginger/pineapple vinegar. Anyway, in putting the wild rice in the hot oil, much of it exploded. What's up with that? I've tossed 3 purchases so far, bought it in bulk, in Canada this weekend. OH PLEASE STEER ME with what's wrong with it or if it's not, in fact, worms...someone please tell me so, is there something inside of wild rice that does this? HELP!
Because until I hear from someone, it's staying in the pot, then it'll get tossed too

Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Everymom

Lefse, when wild rice cooks, it breaks the outer black husk and curls up. Could it be that it just LOOKS like worms?

Old 02-15-2008, 09:41 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Lefse, when wild rice cooks, it breaks the outer black husk and curls up. Could it be that it just LOOKS like worms?
Oh yes, it could be that it just looks like worms. But always when I've bought it before, it's been in like an Uncle Ben's zipper bag with regular rice and it's flavored, all I do is add water to that. Never noticed it happening in the prepared stuff but really, this would be the 3 toss out I've done and it's too expensive for that. Yes, the husks did [some of them anyway] break, I can see that...........so it's safe then?
Old 02-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Master Chef

Aside from the fact that this completely grossed me out after reading it..... It would completely freak me out if this happened to me... wife says maybe the oil was too hot so instead of splitting open (as Alix said) it did more of the explosion thing and then the inside shrunk fast in the hot oil causing it to appear curled up.
Either that or the place you bought it from has some serious explaining to do!
Old 02-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #5
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
Oh yes, it could be that it just looks like worms. But always when I've bought it before, it's been in like an Uncle Ben's zipper bag with regular rice and it's flavored, all I do is add water to that. Never noticed it happening in the prepared stuff but really, this would be the 3 toss out I've done and it's too expensive for that. Yes, the husks did [some of them anyway] break, I can see that...........so it's safe then?

I think so. I make wild rice on its own all the time and it does what you describe and there are no worms in it. Just the outer black husk breaking and then sort of curling up backwards. Its all fine. Likely the exploding was as Maverick says, product of too much heat too fast. I think you are OK. The worms would not be inside the rice grains, but rather inside the bag next to the grains. Does that make sense? (I am on cold meds and might be babbling!)
Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Okay, thanks guys. It's safe then. I have had this in the refrig, so never out in the warm so 'they' could form. And no, not in the bag at all, just appeared in the wild rice or so I thought, continuing on with the casserole now.
Again, thanks folks.....
Old 02-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #7
Everymom

Let us know how the casserole is! (Is it Stampede Casserole by any chance? Thats a personal favorite of mine)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Been cooking wild rice for years and, yes, it can curl. I have a friend who is a Chippewa Indian who has given me tons of the wonderful stuff. Just be sure to wash the real wild rice well before cooking.

The Uncle Ben's stuff is so "not" wild rice. Try to stay away from it. Real wild rice is available at most Wal-Mart stores. If not, check out the Internet. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I think Quinoa does the same thing when its cooked it gets a little white curly tail perfectly natural in fact thats how you tell its finally cooked enough.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Let us know how the casserole is! (Is it Stampede Casserole by any chance? Thats a personal favorite of mine)
Um, don't know what that is. It's just a twist on a recipe handed down through the years, with as usual, my twist to make it cultural, as it's a Polanesian day celebration for a coworker who's retiring.
Oh do tell, what's stampede casserole?

Tags
None