"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I have my own theory about what triggers most of the more serious diseases known to mankind:

Stress.

I'm serious. I think people with high stress are more likely to develop serious diseases than anyone who lives a life with little stress.

Like cancer, I believe that most of us has many diseases already inside us, dormant, but alive. Then something "triggers" the diseases to become active. I believe that "something" is stress.

Fill your life with stress, worry and turmoil and I believe you'll be another victim of one of the more common of life-threatening diseases.

Live a life that is as free of worry, stress and turmoil, using whatever method allows you to live in that manner, and I believe that you will live to be a very old person of 100+. If a truck doesn't run you over...etc.

Just my opinion though.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:23 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
This is a pretty good article on the Aluminum/Alzheimers theory:

Heavy Metal? |EMagazine.com

My Oh My, lots of speculation in that article. I'll go with the Mayo Clinic and the Alzheimer's Association who say there's no connection.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My Oh My, lots of speculation in that article. I'll go with the Mayo Clinic and the Alzheimer's Association who say there's no connection.
Not that I promote the theory, but "No proven connection" and No connection" are not really the same thing.

I'll stay with the person who said "Why not minimize the aluminum in your life, just in case?"
Old 01-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Not that I promote the theory, but "No proven connection" and No connection" are not really the same thing.

I'll stay with the person who said "Why not minimize the aluminum in your life, just in case?"
I may be off base, but statements such as, "No proven connection" are a way to suggest that there really is a connection but I can't say so (wink, wink). It plants the seed of doubt causing many folks to, "...minimize the aluminum in your life, just in case."

I see it as a way for people with an agenda to plant the seeds of doubt, causing consumers to avoid an item "just to be on the safe side".

For example, "Although there is no proven connection, older men who live in St. Augustine and eat hydroponically grown vegetables show a higher incidence of Alzheimer's Disease than the general population."

It can't be proven and it can't be disproved.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm sorry, do I know you?
Bleep, bleepity, bleep, bleep, bleep, bleep bleep bleepity !

Translation - Hello Dr. Smith. (Lost in Space) Come into my parlor said the spider to the fly.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

My personal theory is that because of medical advances, people are treated and cured of things that would've been deadly 50-100 years ago. Therefore, we see higher incidents of cancer and other "geriatric" diseases. My mother would not have had a valve replacement 50 years ago. She would not have lived long enough to suffer from dementia. However, because a valve replacement was an option in 1997, now she suffers from dementia (the two are not necessarily related-but her chances of living long enough for her to develop dementia would have been diminished without the valve replacement). The valve replacement bought her, and her family, 8-10 more years of quality time. We are all paying the price for that now. My DH's grandmother suffered a heart attack--a bypass was done, she lived long enough to develop Alzheimer's. Had she not had the bypass, she would most likely not have lived long enough to develop Alzheimer's.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:07 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I wouldn't be concerned either, but you can do what I do when I cover my tomato-based dishes with foil. First place a layer (barrier, if you will) of parchment paper between the food and the foil. If you want to cut a vent slit into the foil, the parchment can also be easily slit, too.
I like to use a barrier of parchment paper also...especially when storing a tomato based dish in the refrigerator. I've seen tomato sauce eat right through foil where the sauce has been in contact with it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

The same is true of high cholesterol levels' causing problems for us as we age. Cholesterol is a necessary component of our make up. However, it never was an issue when we were dieing off in our 40s and 50s. Now it's another story.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #29
Sous Chef

It probably was aluminum foil that you used to cover the spaghetti. I've been covering food, rolling food up in, baking on top of... aluminum foil for more than 55 years, feeding that food to the same man, aged 77, who still operates our ranch and does volunteer work, 8 hours a day, three days a week. Maybe it's the aluminum foil leakage that's working for him.
I would not worry about that in my kitchen.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I like to use a barrier of parchment paper also...especially when storing a tomato based dish in the refrigerator. I've seen tomato sauce eat right through foil where the sauce has been in contact with it.
If you put foil on pan made from a different metal (such as stainless), and there is an acidic food in the pan, the acid works with the two different metals to make a weak battery and the chemical changes include eroding the foil. A layer of plastic wrap, parchment or waxed paper that keeps the foil from directly contacting the stainless will stop the process.

Of course, if put foil on a non-metallic container, it's not a problem.

Tags
other