Worry about tin foil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And now for a diversion: Tin foil has lots of other great uses... ;)

The Tinfoil Hat Song

For lessons on how to make a tin foil hat Aluminum Foil Deflector Beanie

Zapsolutely!! The Foil Deflector Beanie can help the average human. AND Goodness Knows, it's why the Gourmet Restaurant Association (GRA) recommends wrapping bake potatoes in tinfoil before microwaving them as witnessed at the finest dining establishments everywhere. Accept no
substitutes. :stuart:

Wrapping potatoes in foil is the exact opposite of what those (like me) who like glorious crispy thick potato skins on their baked potatoes. I often scoop out the potato mash in the middle and put it in my refuse plate to be taken away, then fill the skin with sour cream and chives.

Just don't think that every person on the planet wants some carbohydrate dream and throw away the skin. I'll admit I'm probably a 1 in 20 exception, a person who would rather eat the skin than the inside of a potato.

Oh just to add I understood the sarcasm about wrapping potatoes in aluminum foil and then microwaving them. Exactly what the oven manufacturers warn against.

Last edited:
Wrapping potatoes in foil is the exact opposite of what those (like me) who like glorious crispy thick potato skins on their baked potatoes. I often scoop out the potato mash in the middle and put it in my refuse plate to be taken away, then fill the skin with sour cream and chives.

Just don't think that every person on the planet wants some carbohydrate dream and throw away the skin. I'll admit I'm probably a 1 in 20 exception, a person who would rather eat the skin than the inside of a potato.

Oh just to add I understood the sarcasm about wrapping potatoes in aluminum foil and then microwaving them. Exactly what the oven manufacturers warn against.

You mean I am not the only one who eats the skin first? Only I like mine dripping in melted butter. Then if I still have room, I will go for the meat (protein) When a restaqurant serves me a potato wrapped in foil, I don't even bother to open it. I did not order a steamed baked potato. And I have been known to send it back to the kitchen and ask if they have any that are not wrapped in foil. And I can tell the difference. The skin is soggy. :mad:

Addie I'm glad to have a meeting of the minds with you. I agree that a foil wrapper turns you baked potato into a steamed potato. I too like you want a nice crispy chewy potato skin, one that you can't get when you wrap it in foil.

It's funny that many restaurants offer potato skins on their appetizer menu, almost as a concession that some people like the skins rather than a steamed mess of useless calories of pure potato insides. This is IMO only one step removed from mainlining sugar.

As I said I often dig out the insides and throw it away. The skins have all the nutrients and vitamins Sadly that's where the pesticides reside too. I'd rather admit it myself than have somebody else bring that up.

In an ideal world I'd have baked potatoes every night, I'd feed the insides to the animals, and I'd eat the skins. In the real world I don't get that very often.

Wow who would have thought I'd encounter potato skin lovers here in this forum? I had always thought it was God given that only I liked potato skins. I thought only I wanted to throw out the "best" part and eat what was left. Too bad you can't grow potatoes with only the outsides...

Talk about Jack sprat and his wife. Maybe there's a woman out there for me who likes the pulpy potato insides... I probably wouldn't like her attitude. :LOL:

It behooves you to use all of the potato you can, because they're like bananas. If you just skin them and bone them, there's nothing left.

It behooves you to use all of the potato you can, because they're like bananas. If you just skin them and bone them, there's nothing left.

It's that load of buckshot that always ruins it for me...:rolleyes:

thanks for all of the great info, everyone.

i'd remembered that there were some concerns about aluminum, both in cooking and with deodorants, but i was unsure.

after reading the links provided, both look pretty safe. no old-timers disease from cooking, and no breast cancer from preventing sweaty pits.

Back
Top Bottom