Yellow Rice What Is It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was going to say that it depends upon who's making it what it is that makes it yellow.

I suspect most Spanish folks use saffron. That's what they use at my favorite Spanish restaurant in New York, and what I use when I make it. But I suspect most Indian folks would use turmeric. and I suspect most boxed products are mainly annato.

Otherwise, it would depend upon what flavor you want in your rice which "yellower" you use. ;)

Most rice in a box is Par-boiled. It’s partially cooked using industrial cookers and dried then the rice is milled. This helps to shorten the cooking time for the home cook.

Par-boiled rice requires less water to cook.

The color will be off white to brownish.

Please tell me it's different than yellow snow?
Immature and silly, I know. But I couldn't help it

The yellow rice I was referring to is made by Mahatna, there are others on the market, some sold as if they were to be Incorporated into Southern dish's. The rice is not cooked, and is yellow in color. I don't know if the raw rice has been coated to appear to be yellow or what they did to it. The last time I made yellow rice I used Zatarans rice mix, to me it was better then just plain rice, but having not grown up with yellow rice I have no reference as to how good it is compared to yellow rice made from scratch..

Thanks Andy M.
Do you think the rice was precooked with either saffron or turmeric or Annatto powder. Could you tell from the box?

Inb4Andy, I think yellow rice is at its most beautiful when just a small pinch of real saffron threads are added. The fragrance beats into a cocked hat all commercial brands of the same.

Elf, a quick look at the ingredients listed on the box would tell you what had been used to color the rice yellow.
Also another hint when you opened the box: Did it have an aroma?

Just curious, what is yellow rice? Rice with turmeric or saffron in it? I have seen it on the super market shelves, seen it in cook books , but never knew what it tastes like or it uses.

it's yellow because of the saffron...it's called risotto alla milanese.

I grew up with homemade yellow rice. My mother and her family were from Barbados and my great aunt always used saffron. Definitely a distinct aroma and taste. Absolutely delicious. Mahatma's doesn't come close and I've never tried Zatarains. I never got the recipe from her to my regret.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom