"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Old 12-30-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Your favorite risotto?

I want to make a risotto for dinner; however, I don't know what kind of risotto to do. I don't want it just plain, so I was just wondering what risotto people on this forum enjoy the most? Maybe you've cooked it before, or you had it in a restaurant-- you don't have to have a specific recipe for me. I was thinking possibly a beet risotto, which I haven't tried before.

hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
Head Chef
I tried the Lemon one first because I loved the verbiage that was included with it at the end. After practice, you'll find that you don't need to stir non-stop. But you do need to be attentive especially after the first two or three additions of liquid. Your mind can wander a bit by the fifth and sixth and you'll still have marvelous results.

The basics are standard (onion / shallot, garlic, cheese, white wine, stock / broth, toasting the arborio rice, cheese-butter-cream at the end) in almost every recipe. But from there the sky is the limit! I have used mussels yummmmy!, squash, asparagus and mushrooms at different times with great results.

__________________________________________________ _____

Lemon Risotto with Gouda
Serves 8

6 cups chicken stock -- or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup onion -- diced fine
2 cups arborio rice
½ cup dry white wine
½ cup Gouda -- grated
2 tablespoons fresh parsley -- chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 teaspoons lemon zest

Bring stock to simmer in large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low; cover to keep warm.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter with the 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add diced onion and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes. Add rice; stir 1 minute. Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 30 seconds. Add 1 1/2 cups hot broth; simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is creamy and tender, about 35 minutes.

Stir in the cheese. Stir in parsley, lemon juice, and lemon peel. Season risotto with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.

The risotto-making process is easy, but certain steps should be followed. The gradual addition of small amounts of liquid at a steady heat gradually dissolves the soft starch surrounding the rice kernel, which begins to swell. Constant stirring rubs away the dissolving starch and at the same time distributes it, binding it uniformly to every single grain of rice and to all the ingredients in the pot. It is only through that sustained stirring motion that you produce the amalgam, the creamy fusion of swollen rice and vegetables, or seafood, or meat that is risotto. Mantecare is the final step of making risotto. The word is borrowed from the Spanish for butter, mantequilla. In Italian it means to work butter or cream into what you are cooking to give it a soft consistency. In making risotto you do this when the risotto is cooked but is still steaming in the pot. Add a tablespoon or so of butter and some freshly grated cheese, and swirl them in to combine. It is the final and best touch, giving the risotto its great consistency. Lemon juice and peel offer a double punch of flavor in this delicious dish. Serve the risotto Italian-style as a first course, or American-style as a main course.
__________________________________________________ _________

Risotto with Shrimp, Tomatoes and Basil

5 cups low-salt chicken broth (homemade or canned)
4 tablespoons butter
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 plum tomatoes, quartered
1-1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
10 fresh basil leaves, julienned
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted in dry pan

Bring broth to a simmer in a pot. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add shrimp and sauté a minute or two, just until pink. Remove them to a plate with a slotted spoon.

Add the olive oil to the saucepan. When hot, add shallots and garlic; sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and sauté until their liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes.

Add rice; cook and stir 2 minutes to coat thoroughly. Add wine; simmer, stirring often, until liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes.

Add a ladle of hot broth (¼ - to ½ - cup) and stir rice, wiping it away from the bottom and sides of the pan, until liquid is absorbed. Continue gradually adding broth and constantly stirring until the rice is firm but tender with no chalky center, 20 to 30 minutes.

Stir the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, 1/4 cup of the cheese and half the basil into the risotto. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Portion risotto into individual bowls. Rewarm shrimp and arrange on top. Sprinkle with pine nuts and the remaining cheese. Garnish with remaining basil and serve. Makes 4 servings.

Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Executive Chef
Butternut squash....it's always well received by guests.
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Sous Chef
I love making risotto because it is so open to interpretation. I usually get my inspiration from cheese and go from there. I like to make a vegetarian version using vegetable stock, dark beer (in place of wine) and earthy Italian cheeses (ones that taste vaguely of dirt but in a good way) a touch of truffle oil and some shrooms

This also makes great arancini as leftovers which I sometimes like better than the risotto. Put the arancini on a salad of greens with a thick balsamic dressing YUM.
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Imho, if you are just starting out with Risotto, you should master the basic, classic, Risotto Milanese. There is nothing "plain" about it when it is done properly. In fact, it is this recipe that has made so many folks go so crazy for Risotto.

I would post my recipe, but it seems it is not in this computer. It is in my book on page 134

Using really good chicken stock, a pinch of saffron and finishing with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (the real stuff) makes all the difference.
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:46 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
we had a mushroom risotto last night that was very good. made with dehydrated mixed mushrooms, so the earthy flavor was concentrated enough to really flavor the rice.

another fave is sundried tomatoes.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
Sous Chef
Well I just figured out what I am going to do with all the lovely chicken stock I just made and the selection of leftover cheese from the holidays and my new 9qt LC :)
PanchoHambre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I like a red wine and radiccio risotto. I believe the recipe is at Epicurious.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:20 AM   #9
Certified Cake Maniac
At school, in the training restaurant I became known for my butternut squash and cranberry risotto and to this day it is one of my signature dishes.

Just cube the squash quite small and add it when you add the rice. Once the risotto is cooked, add fresh or frozen whole cranberries with the parmesan cheese and heat through. You don't want to add the berries too early or you will have red risotto instead of orange with red "dots"!
"Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the key to life" - Chef Michael Smith

LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
We love the traditional risotto Milanese, but we chuck it full of sauteed mushrooms..emmmm

HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote