"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
Master Chef

Oh geez I'm not gonna eat cereal for at least a week now....

Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Oh.. my gosh.. That is so disgusting..

Old 01-12-2009, 07:21 AM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
another mouthful later, i remember thinking, why is my raisin bran doing that snap crackle pop thing. and why does it taste funny?

as the glow of the tv lit up the room, i looked down to find my raisin bran was crawling with mealy bugs. a whole bowl of milk soaked creepy crawlies, like right out of a horror movie!

let's just say i watch what i eat now, in more ways than one.

with the lights on.
Can anyone say YUMMO???? BT's gross out moment of the day. I love this guy...he's so much like me...always there to offer encouragement by personal example.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
If Alix were here at the moment she would say Buckey!!!!!!! LOL - Love the story.

Anyway, cerial soes not last long in our house. I buy a box of Cherios a week and pack a bowl a day for B'Fast when I get to work. Oh! yes, The labs want a handfull to eat when I am packing.

I put all my flour in sealed plastic containers. I have not had a problem to date. Dosent mean that I will not have problems tonight. A long time ago, I had fouur in the pantry in the bags that it came in and had a problem. Long story short, I think that time is the enabler of the problem. Buy in quantities that you can use in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Adillo is right on. Buy the largest quantity that you can both afford, and use up in a reasonable amount of time.

I notice weevils in several products: Flour, buttermilk baking mix, and pasta. The first two go into the freezer for a couple days (or longer, if I buy a lot) to kill the eggs already in it. I'll pull them out as needed. Flour goes into an airtight plastic container. Baking mix usually stays in the box, as I use it pretty fast. Pasta, I just leave in the box/bag it came in, and use it quick.

Many years ago, we used to do instant oatmeal at the country club, a la carte, on the breakfast menu. One time, the morning cook opened a bag, dumped it into a bowl of water, and immediately, about a hundred weevils floated up to the top. We had never seen weevils in OATMEAL before. We tried again with a couple more packets, and both did that. We went back and looked at the case in Dry Supplies, and we had weevils crawling around all over! Crimeny! We had to tell the member that we were very sorry, but there was no oatmeal available that day. We also called the Chef and let him know; he ended up calling the vendor and griping big time, as we had just received that case a week before. No telling how long it sat around at the warehouse.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Funny this thread should come up. I went to make Cream of Wheat for B'Fast this weekend. I took out this nice crisp looking box and started to goto town makin it. It has long been my practice to pour dry stuff in a small bowl and "watch it" a minute or so. Anyway, no activity, B'Fast proceded without incedent. As I was putting the Cream of Wheat away, I glanced at the date on the box. Let's just say that it had a birrthday in my pantry. This got me wondering about dry goods. I am fairly good with meat, fish, poultry, dairy and I have a sticker on the front of the freezer for how long things can be frozen. I am even getting good at dating as I freeze.

This begs the question, do all of you check dates on everything including dry goods and low usage things? Do you have a margin of tolerance for such things?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 AM   #17
Head Chef

Some spices, like chili powder and paprika can have those grain bugs in them. I do put grains and spices into the freezer for a couple days.

When I do find bugs, it is usually from something away back in the back of the pantry that I have forgotten about--it was tabouli, still in the unopened plastic package, the last time.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
Master Chef

I used to have a problem with wheat bugs when I lived in Louisiana. One day my ex announced he needed two pies for a "coaches dinner" that night, and no, wives were not invited.
I had no car or phone, and when I got out the flour to make the pie crust, it had wheat bugs in it. I went ahead and made it anyway, and the crust looked like it had little poppy seeds in it.
He said everyone bragged on my pies, and commented on the delicious "nutty taste" of the crust.
Evil Grin.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Funny this thread should come up. I went to make Cream of Wheat for B'Fast this weekend. I took out this nice crisp looking box and started to goto town makin it. It has long been my practice to pour dry stuff in a small bowl and "watch it" a minute or so. Anyway, no activity, B'Fast proceded without incedent. As I was putting the Cream of Wheat away, I glanced at the date on the box. Let's just say that it had a birrthday in my pantry. This got me wondering about dry goods. I am fairly good with meat, fish, poultry, dairy and I have a sticker on the front of the freezer for how long things can be frozen. I am even getting good at dating as I freeze.

This begs the question, do all of you check dates on everything including dry goods and low usage things? Do you have a margin of tolerance for such things?
We cleaned out the pantry a couple weeks ago, and anything out of date or with no date went into the garbage. I tried using some old corn meal once, and it smelled old. Even if it was safe, it would have definitely tasted bad...
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #20
Executive Chef

This could be a very inexpensive lesson. You may want to check other items to see that they are completely sealed up. If you get a few of those it can be hard to find without going thru everything. I pack mine in sealed bags inside sealed cannisters, but I do put many things in the freezer for 24 hours after I purchase them - just in case there were varmints about.

Tags
None