yuck, yuck, YUCK!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gross gross gross!!! I'd have done exactly what you did beginner chef. BLECH!

Buckytom...:sick:

Weird question time. I've never ever found any bug, critter or anything else in dry goods. I know its not because I use it all up so quickly but I'm wondering if the climate has anything to do with it? Or where stuff comes from initially?

Ok, still gagging about the raisin bran.

I wondered licia. But BT is in a northern state. Admittedly its a lot warmer overall there than here, but still...its cooler. Do you suppose moisture has a part in this too? We are very dry here and I think most of the folks who mentioned this have a higher humidity level than we do.

We just stocked up on lots of dry goods. We put everything in either glass jars or air tight containers.

Alix, I think humidity is a factor.

That's a very good tip about freezing them for 24 hours after bringing them hom. Even if it's just a mind thing... I might have to start doing it..

I used to have a problem with wheat bugs when I lived in Louisiana. One day my ex announced he needed two pies for a "coaches dinner" that night, and no, wives were not invited.
I had no car or phone, and when I got out the flour to make the pie crust, it had wheat bugs in it. I went ahead and made it anyway, and the crust looked like it had little poppy seeds in it.
He said everyone bragged on my pies, and commented on the delicious "nutty taste" of the crust.
Evil Grin.

I LOVE THIS STORY!!!!

You can get wormies and moths in pretty much anything. Ramen noodles, rice, cous cous, mac and cheese. I even found some in salt once.

Once you have them or see a moth, etc, you should look through all of the food in the pantry that they could be in and throw out anything that looks like it has specks/webs/wormies, etc. Or just throw everything out without looking.

Whoa! Check this out:

Kitchen Bugs

And we get a lot of these silverfish critters (but we call the bigger ones "lobsters"):

silverfish_james.jpg

Mmmmmm....enough for two Pizzas.
Hi yez all- you just had a Filipino called Barako hook in on the Introduction thread..ask him or her about Balut, if you want a maximum yuck factor....Yuuuuuck.
Then, if the cookies havn't ascended, ask me about Trasi and Blachan.

I found a dead grub type thing in a tin of cannelini beans the other day and yes its gross but i doubt you will come to much harm

ya want buggy food yuk?

about a year after i had gotten my first apartment, i got up in the middle of the night with the munchies, craving cereal.

without turning on the kitchen light (it wakes up the birds), i found a box of raisin bran in the cupboard and poured a bowl with some milk. i went into the living room and turned on the tv, wolfing down a few spoonfuls along the way.
another mouthful later, i remember thinking, why is my raisin bran doing that snap crackle pop thing. and why does it taste funny?

as the glow of the tv lit up the room, i looked down to find my raisin bran was crawling with mealy bugs. a whole bowl of milk soaked creepy crawlies, like right out of a horror movie! :sick:

let's just say i watch what i eat now, in more ways than one.

with the lights on.

OMG I would have went straight the bathroom and well ... you know the drill. That is so gross. My stomach is turning now.

I think I am done eating out of boxes now.

I used to have a problem with wheat bugs when I lived in Louisiana. One day my ex announced he needed two pies for a "coaches dinner" that night, and no, wives were not invited.
I had no car or phone, and when I got out the flour to make the pie crust, it had wheat bugs in it. I went ahead and made it anyway, and the crust looked like it had little poppy seeds in it.
He said everyone bragged on my pies, and commented on the delicious "nutty taste" of the crust.
Evil Grin.

LOL That is so bad! Good ... but so bad!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom