"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-20-2005, 04:25 PM   #21
Cook

Send a message via AIM to CyberSlag5k
A very good read and quite interesting. Thank you for sharing, and I look forward to your next post of italiant insight.

Old 09-20-2005, 08:46 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Thanks Yakuta for your very interesting info!! I always adored Indian fare, but having been to the UK many times where Indian foods are extremely popular, I always wondered about their true authenticity... and I can tell those yellow pasty "chip-shop curries" must be your (or any Indian folk's) worst nightmare!! Now I live in the vicinity of an exotic zone and there are some grocery shops run by Indian people, so fortunately I have an easy access to many of authentic ingredients... I usually use a mix of garam masala, turmeric, touch of cinnamon and cardamom to make my curry. Do you have any suggestions? I hope you will share with us some of your recipes in the near future!!

Old 09-21-2005, 12:27 AM   #23
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to bluespanishsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13

Firstly, a few example of general practice in Italian kitchens... many of the recipes are surprisingly simple with relatively few ingredients. They focus more on freshness and the quality, and make sure you can enjoy the flavour of the each item to the full extent.

In proper dinner, there are usually 5 courses, antipasti(appetizer), primi(first course, pasta, risotto etc) then secondi (fish or meat), contorni (vegetable side dishes) then either fruit or dessert.

Thanks for this great post, definitely an interesting read. I actually visited italy late last spring, and had a marvelous time. we went to the south of france first and i said to my boyfriend "this is the best food and wine i've ever had" then we went to italy and boy did i have to eat my words. the food and wine in italy was just magnificent. it was so different then what you think of as "italian" food here in the states. As you said I noticed that the dishes were very simple and clean, but had such flavor. most things i had were pretty light too.

i tagged along with my boyfriend (he was there for work) and the dinners were just amazing...i'm not kidding 10 courses a few nights. lots of different foods but all in relitively small portions, (small by american standards) which was really nice becuse you got to taste almost everything! i was just blown away, with how wonderful everything was.

Yakuta- Thanks too for the info on Indian cuisine...eggplant bartha is my favorite indian dish. is that considered americanized?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:13 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Hello Blue I am glad you had such a wonderful experience here!! Yes, the Italians surely know how to eat, don't they?? Well wait until you get an invitation for an Italian wedding... they will keep on eating all day and night!! Let me know when you come back here next time!! You will have a dinner with us!!Licia
Old 09-21-2005, 05:41 AM   #25
Head Chef

What a great thread. Very interesting info. Maybe someday I'll make it to France and Italy. A dream vacation.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:08 AM   #26
Head Chef

Hi Urmaniac, I don't have an issue if something is made into fusion cooking but some of these terms are lifted directly from the authentic cuisine and completely altered. Perhaps a better approach would be come up with a new name for it :-).

On the good side, Indian food is being slowly demystified in the Western world. There are not a laundry list of ingredients (well not any more than any other cuisine) and it's not all curry.

BlueSpanishSky, yes Baingan Bharta (made with eggplant) is pretty traditional in Indian cuisine and chances are that the restaurants here have not tempered with it a whole lot.

I have shared some recipes and yes if you need a particular one send me a Private post and I will surely share what I know.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:54 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

BlueSpanishSky - please take Yakuta up on her invitation. she knows her stuff.
Old 10-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta
Naan's are strictly limited to restaurants.
My best friend (moved from India about a decade ago) said, though, that this was because you have to use a Tandoor oven to bake naan and that was why they don't eat it at home. Is this right? It's just a matter of having the right equipment?
Old 10-08-2005, 04:01 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Yakuta, from my understanding, the majority of the Indian restaurants in the U.S. are based on Northern Indian cuisine, is that correct? There's this restaurant that I found which serves Southern Indian cuisine (i.e. Dosai insteand of Naan) and the overall flavors are decidedly different, and to me, tastes better.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:54 PM   #30
Head Chef

Greetings Veloholic, yes tandoor is not found widely in people's homes so that is one reason.

The other reason is that Indian's are big into eating breads made of durum wheat. It is not completely whole wheat but close. It's healthy and most households (regardless of religion) will prefer to use durum wheat over refined flour (this is what naan's are made of).

As in authentic cuisine a lot of the recipes that are prepared at home are very simply prepared and are not as rich as those served in restaurants (nuts and cream is rarely used by the home cook).

Ironchef, yes the style of South Indian and North Indian cooking is rather distinct from each other. South Indian food is spicier and uses dried chillies, rice, dahls and coconut in a lot of it's preparation. North Indian food is more creamier (yogurt, paneer etc) and milder in it's flavor.

I personally like South Indian snacks (like Dosas and Idlis) but I prefer North Indian curries and tandoori dishes. I guess a lot depends on what you were brought up on. I am not a great fan of spicy food and yes I am Indian but I prefer milder more flavorful than just a gush of chilli flavors in my mouth.

Tags
None