A little Tex/Mex - fried Chili Rellenos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paymaster

Sous Chef
I fried some Chili Rellenos and made some nachos for the family. Here are some pics.:chef:

Attachments

• Cook 5-27 1.jpg
    Cook 5-27 1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 229
  • Cook 5-27 3.jpg
    Cook 5-27 3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 217
  • Cook 5-27 5.jpg
    Cook 5-27 5.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 247
  1. Place Poblano Chili's on an oven proof pan
  2. Place under Broiler on high
  3. Blister the skin on the Chili
  4. Remove Chili from oven and place in a zip type plastic bag for 10 minutes this will aid in skin removal
  5. Peel skin from the chili
  6. Carefully slit side of chili with a knife about 2 inches
  7. With a spoon, remove core and seeds
  8. Cut 3/4 inch cubes from Monterey Jack cheese block and fill chili ,don't over fill
  9. Mix up some of your favorite pancake batter(make it thick) and carefully dip Chili
  10. Slowly lower dipped Chili into oil heated at 360 degrees until golden brown
  11. repeat this for as many Chilis as desired
Hope this helps:chef:

Chili rellenos are my favorite Mexican dish to eat and my least-favorite to make. It's what I order whenever I'm at a Mexican restaurant.

Yours look wonderful, Paymaster!

Lee

I need to try that. The batter they used in my home town in Mexico was similar to pancake batter but it would get too fluffy and soak up too much grease, so I usually ended up peeling the breading off my chiles before eating 'em. Of course soaking up too much grease is often a symptom of not enough heat so who knows...

The chile rellenos I have had (and cooked myself) here in Mexico are coated with eggs only - egg whites beaten until stiff, then beaten yolks folded in. The chiles are rolled in flour, then dipped in the the eggs and fried. This can turn out to be a pretty thick batter. I like the look of the batter you used, Paymaster.

I do 'em same as MexicoKaren, roll 'em in flour first to make the batter stick. Egg batter. It's just how I learned here, I think from Leo Tumamait's mom.

ooh this post reminds me of something I have been serching for for years! I had a chili relleno at a small restaurant in Bakersfield once but it had a meat filling, I had found a simular recipe once with small bite size piece od steak but when I made it I mixed ground beef and the steak together...it came out perfect...but what my problem is I can not find the recipe anywhere! I either lost in a move or I let a friend borrow it (the original copy...duh) please help anyone! I think the filling was called a picadillo?? But everything I have search for does not sound right....from what I remember of ingredients was, beef, cumin, tomato,.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom