A question I know the answer to, but just want to make sure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I found a recipe for a tortilla soup ( that includes tomatillos).
Having had a decent amount of tomatillos this year in the garden, and about 100 sitting around waiting to be used, I figured Id give this recipe a go to use up some of my stash. The recipe calls for a Pepita Salsa Verde, which will ultimately be the base of the soup.

Here is the link. I cut and pasted the Pepita Salsa Verde recipe portion from the site , cause thats the only part I have a question ( that I think I know the answer to) on, but feel free to view the entire recipe if you like through the link).

https://goop.com/recipes/3-bean-tortilla-soup/

FOR THE PEPITA SALSA VERDE SAUCE:
¼ cup pepitas
pinch of cumin
2 cups tomatillos, washed, peeled, and cut into chunks
½ white onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled
½ bunch cilantro
½ jalapeño, or more if you prefer a spicier sauce
juice of 2 limes
salt and pepper to taste

Place the pepitas in a small pan over medium heat. Toast until light golden, tossing every couple of minutes. Add the cumin, toss, and place in a blender. Add tomatillos, jalapeño, onion, garlic, cilantro, and lime juice. Blend on high until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and more lime to taste.

So my question is, it says to peel the tomatillos. I assume they mean to removed that outer husk and thats it. I dont assume that the mean removed the outer husk and then peel them since ive never had a salsa verde or any other tomatillo recipe call for that. Everything is ultimately going to wind up in the blender and tomatillos blend well.

I think they do mean to peel off the skin (in boiling water for about 30 seconds to a minute and then peel skin) for 2 reasons.

1. Directions say to wash then peel. You wouldn't wash the husk and then remove it.You remove the husk, then wash.

2. It says to process until smooth. You aren't going to get a smooth puree with uncooked tomatillo skin, at least not with any we've ever used.

I agree with medtran, but I'll be damned if I'd peel tomatillos lol. I'm not that concerned about having a perfectly smooth tomatillo sauce or tortilla soup; in fact, I prefer to have some texture. I typically only peel ingredients when the skin is tough and inedible, like with Anaheim and similar peppers.

I've never come across a recipe where I had to peel them, so it kinda through me off for a bit. I have no problems with texture either, and Im sure the Vitamin will do a good job breaking it down.

I have never peeled tomatillos, either, and I don't think that the peel will be any more noticeable than the pepper skin and seeds, or the pepitas. Maybe it was just a weird way of telling you to husk them, though it would have been out of order.

It's not the same, but, some guacamole recipes call for tomatoes to be peeled. I think it could be a personal preference.

I have never peeled tomatillos, either, and I don't think that the peel will be any more noticeable than the pepper skin and seeds, or the pepitas. Maybe it was just a weird way of telling you to husk them, though it would have been out of order.

My initial thought was they just meant husking them, but the order thing through me off, so I started second guessing myself. Since ive never come across skinning them it didn't make sense to me, but an old dog can learn new tricks and this old dog wants to learn as many new tricks as I can if it will benefit me .

Honestly, even if it did want me to skin them, there is no way I was going to.

Larry, sometimes you run into a recipe that isn't that well written. I would husk and rinse the tomatillos and go from there.

After you eat it, you'll know for sure whether or not I was right.

Larry, sometimes you run into a recipe that isn't that well written. I would husk and rinse the tomatillos and go from there.

After you eat it, you'll know for sure whether or not I was right.
I'm sure you're right. Goop is not known for being accurate about much at all lol

The good news, leaving the skins on made no difference . The blender took care of that, nice and silky smooth

Now the bad news, the soup tasted like crap. Wasn't totally unexpected, and a bit of wishful thinking. I needed a recipe ( other than salsa verde) to get rid of the hundreds of tomatillos I have. This recipe did help me get rid of a few, but not the way I wanted to.

It was the type of recipe that I kinda knew what it would taste like even before I started, but went with it anyway.

Oh well, this one swill not wind up in my ' tried and liked". recipe folder.

On to the next

I have a prize winning white cholle recipe that usrs tomatillas instrad of tomatoes. My childten have had great revires fom chirch chili cookogfd as well. I won my town's chili cookoff with this recipe. If you want it, let me know.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of ther North

Here's the white chili recipe I promised.

2009 United Way Chili Cook-off, 1rst-place Prize-Winning Recipe, White Chili Category –Chief Longwind’s White Chili

In past years, I made this same basic recipe, but with chicken or pork as the meat, and with more potent hot peppers. So for this year's cookoff, I tweaked the herbs and spices, changed to ground beef, and reduced the heat. Everyone who has tried this recipe has fallen in love with it. It’s not as pretty as red chili, but it sure does taste great. Try this recipe on a cool fall night. It’ll warm you to your toes.

Ingredients:
* 24 oz. (3 cups) Great Northern Beans, cooked
* 24 oz. Pinto Beans, cooked
* 2 cups home-made Salsa Verde
* 1 large white onion, diced
* ½ cup chopped green onion
* 1 tbs. Sriracha brand Pepper Sauce
* 2 tbs. Coriander, ground
* 1 tbs. Cumin, ground
* 2 stalks Celery, sliced with leaves
* 1 ½ lb. Ground Beef (80/20 coarse chili-grind)
* 2 tsp. Kosher Salt, or 1 ½ tsp. table salt
* 3 tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
* 2, one-inch Serrano Chile Peppers, minced
* ½ tsp. white pepper, ground (or you can use black pepper)
* 2 cups heavy cream (1 pint)
* ½ cup Masa Harina (can be found next to the corn meal at
your grocers)
* 3 tbs. cooking oil

Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the diced onion. Sauté over medium heat while stirring until the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes). Add the ground beef and flatten out. Let cook for about 5 minutes and then break it up. Stir and cook until the meat has lightly browned. Add the peppers, herbs, and spices. Simmer with the meat for ten minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the Masa Harina, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for two hours, stirring every twenty minutes or so to prevent the chili from sticking. Taste the chili and correct the seasoning to your taste (add more salt if needed).
Place the Masa Harina into an eight ounce cup along with just enough water to form a thick paste. Stir with a fork until all the lumps are removed. Slowly stir in two tbs. more water. This is called slurry. Stir the Masa Harina slurry into the chili, and again cover. Let it all cook over low heat for an additional ten minutes. Stir and test to see if the chili is thick enough for you. If so, then you are ready to serve up a bowl- full or two to your family. But remember, like all great chili, this is even better the next day. So if you can, cool it in an ice bath and place in the refrigerator for tomorrow’s dinner. Serve it with some good cornbread, or nachos. And remember, tweak this recipe to your tastes. Though this has won a cook-off, you can tailor it. It's a starting point.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom