"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

A recent issue of Cooks Illustrated had an article about canned vs. dried cannellini beans. They concluded that canned were better because the manufacturers selected better quality beans for canning, since they're more popular. Also, dried beans tended to be older which contributed to a lesser quality product. I think the same is probably true for other types of canned beans.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:42 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
A recent issue of Cooks Illustrated had an article about canned vs. dried cannellini beans. They concluded that canned were better because the manufacturers selected better quality beans for canning, since they're more popular. Also, dried beans tended to be older which contributed to a lesser quality product. I think the same is probably true for other types of canned beans.
Most canning companies receive their product within an hour or two from picking. So they are much fresher. The quality product goes into the can and the less quality ones are packaged to be sold from sitting on a shelf in the store. After they have been sitting in a warehouse for a while.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Most canning companies receive their product within an hour or two from picking. So they are much fresher. The quality product goes into the can and the less quality ones are packaged to be sold from sitting on a shelf in the store. After they have been sitting in a warehouse for a while.
Exactly right - lesser quality and old. For those reasons and the convenience factor, I buy canned beans.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #44
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Once again, Addie, where are you getting this information? Can you cite a source, or are you just pulling "facts" out of the air?

Beans are dried on the plant before they are harvested, and then cooked in the can. Why would it matter if they arrived at a factory "an hour or two within picking," or for that matter, if they were canned a month later? That makes no sense whatsoever.

According to the US Dry Bean Council, "Dry beans keep up to a year in an airtight container in a cool, dry environment, away from direct sunlight." I make up beans once a week from the dried product, so they don't sit around in the cupboard for any more than a couple weeks. In 15 years, I don't think I've ever had more than a batch or two that failed to soften. My wife and I love them and if you make them up ahead of time, they are easy to pull out of the fridge for lunches or a quick meal. Sometimes I even have them for breakfast!

I never buy canned beans. I can't stand the flavor or mushy texture. In addition, they are so easy and inexpensive to make from the dried form.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:09 PM   #45
Master Chef

I also like cooking my own dried beans as I can control and eliminate the issue of mushy texture, and a funky canned taste.

In the case of canned hominy however, I cook it a long time in the meat sauce as I prefer it to be cooked more than they do. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the dried kind to do some experimenting with it, such as pressure cooking it.

By the way, my Steve is like a dog hunting for a bone. He's gone to four more Mexican markets looking for it. There's no point calling around for it because we don't speak Spanish, and they don't speak English. He carries around a picture from the internet of a bag of Goya yellow hominy. It's amazing the things he can find to do after retirement.
Gotta love that man.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 04:32 PM   #46
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Just an update. I found out why the good folks at the Mexican restaurant don't use hominy in their menudo (which, if y'all will recall, is prepared for their own family use). It is simply because the little ones don't like it. Sounded reasonable enough to me. Actually, I like it without the hominy - Doesn't fill me up as quick and I can eat more of it.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Just an update. I found out why the good folks at the Mexican restaurant don't use hominy in their menudo (which, if y'all will recall, is prepared for their own family use). It is simply because the little ones don't like it. Sounded reasonable enough to me. Actually, I like it without the hominy - Doesn't fill me up as quick and I can eat more of it.
Hoot, did you suggest that they make it part of their menu so everyone can enjoy it?
Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

No. I reckon I could, but none of my family and friends like menudo and among those there are a few that simply refuse to try it. I suspect a significant portion of the local population might have similar opinions.
I will mention it next time we are in there.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, peas