"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 09-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Ayrton, thanks so much for the recipe suggestion!! However, unfortunately, celery happens to be one of the very, very few items that Cristiano dislikes!!
But, if it is not so blasphemous, I can think of some modifications using certain different vegetables, either bell peppers or Tropea onion (very mild flavoured red onion), or combination of the two came to my mind for example. Aside from the celery problem, this is a very delicious looking recipe, I will think about a way, one way or another to realise it!!
In my world, Urmaniac, almost anything is lovely with onions ... so you try and you let me know back how it goes, okay?

Old 09-21-2006, 10:20 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Yes, I tend to chuck onions into almost every stew and casserole dish I make!

Urmaniac, I posted another Cypriot pork casserole recipe, which doesn't have celery and uses aubergines. Maybe that might be to Cristiano's taste?

Old 09-21-2006, 10:40 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Cypriot version of this Greek dish.

2lb boned lean pork, diced
200 ml red wine (one glass)
1-2 tablespoon of coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
salt and lots of ground black pepper (to your taste)
1 stick cinnamon
6 tablespoons veg oil or sunflower oil

Marinade meat overnight in the wine and spices. Lift meat out and pat meat dry. (Don't throw away the marinade!)

Heat oil in a heavy based casserole and brown the cubes of pork, a few at a time, until they are all crisp and brown. Use more oil if necessary. Remove all the meat from the pan and wipe to remove any excess oil. Put all the meat back into the casserole, pour n the marinade and enough cold water to just cover the meat. Cover with lid and cook gently, either in the oven or on the stove top for 30-40 minutes until the meat is tender. Almost all the liquid should have evaporatd to leave a thick sauce. If there is still too much sauce, then reduce by removing the lid and turning up the heat a little.

This is usually served with pilafi* and a Greek salad.

*in Cyprus this is usually porgouri pilafi (bulgar = cracked wheat)
This is gonna be great! Ish, I have a similar recipe from my Cypriot girlfriend...
Old 09-21-2006, 12:27 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayrton
In my world, Urmaniac, almost anything is lovely with onions ... so you try and you let me know back how it goes, okay?
It's a deal I will certainly do!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Yes, I tend to chuck onions into almost every stew and casserole dish I make!

Urmaniac, I posted another Cypriot pork casserole recipe, which doesn't have celery and uses aubergines. Maybe that might be to Cristiano's taste?
I wholeheartedly agree with you, onion makes just about anything better!!
And thanks Izzy, aubergenes surely we both love them!! I will check it out right away!!

Tags
None