Originally Posted by CWS4322
I love chick peas. I can eat chick peas every day. Please share your recipe.
OK, this soup is very popular here in Egypt. It is usually served during the winter because it keeps you warm for a long time. Here is the recipe:
- 1 pound dry chick peas, washed and soaked in room temp. water for 3 hours.
- 1 medium sized onion
- 6-7 cloves garlic
- 1 medium sized tomato
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder. You can add more if you like it spicy
- salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of fresh lemon (poured on the soup at serving)
- Boil the chick peas in water that covers the peas
- keep boiling until they are tender. If the water evaporates, pour in more water to cover the chick peas
- Cut the onion and tomato into quarters and add them with the garlic in the food processor. Grind the vegetables.
- Now when the chick peas are tender, add in the vegetables, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- keep boiling for 10 min.
- Serve hot with fresh drops of lemon juice in every serving.
I just need to mention that it is usually served in mugs rather than plates. Why? I don't know.