African Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Jikoni, were you going to post casavva/yucca recipes? It was mentioned earlier in the thread but I did not see a recipe. I saw the one for the cassava leaves but what about just basic root?

Hey I made my first African dinner the other night. I did the Queen of Sheba salad, the matoke and the curried chicken in little hot pots.

On the Matoke: I think the balls need to be quite larger. I started out with medium meatball size and they start to fall apart. But then I went to a larger hamburger size and it seems the mass combined with the spinach helps to hold them together.

Definitely recommend freezing them to keep them together in the deep fry. Also seems they need to be quite dark on the outside, as sometimes not all the banana cooks up if the fry is just light brown.

My wife and I both thought it could do w/o banana in the mix. Bananas in fried food have a certain richness (think bananas Foster) but this is in contrast to the earthiness of yams, onions, etc. I would go with just yams for the base. I used spinach, onions, carrots in the mixture. I dont think I could really taste the spinach but the onions make a nice contrast to the others.

Everybody liked them; my wife would eat them again but only if it was yams only.

I used peanut sauce to dip these in as it seems traditional. I wonder if you could use honey or honey mustard?

I have little to go on in the way of african sauces to accompany this and other dishes. Some suggestions?

So we finally have an African food store close enough to shop at and I went today. I purchased Gari, Cassava Flour, Hausa Koko Flour, African Bean Flour and Plantains. I know what to do with the Plantains and I have eaten MaiMai(?), Fufu(?) and several other dishes. What can I do with these flours? there were also a lot of other items, mostly African, some Caribbean and some Jamaican. Help!!!

Well, I spelled fufu correctly but the blackeye pea dish is moimoi. I have also eaten jallof rice with different meats. I found a lot of north African recipes at the Congo cookbook. Most of my friends are from north Africa.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom