"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-16-2005, 10:53 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Urmaniac13, Glad you are enjoying Kenyan cuisineI love creating dishes, and trying out new things all the time. What shall we call this sauce we are creating?????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!
I usually cook polenta seperately then prepare a sauce or stew separately. This probably comes from the fact that polenta is similar to Kenyan staple diet 'Ugali' which comes with a separate sauce or stew. (I will post an Ugali recipe sometime)anyway, let me know how we can do this.Sounds like fun. Let's think should it be spicy or not, coconutty or not.

Old 11-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Yes we usually prepare sauces and polenta separately. For the sauce I was thinking of a brown gravy like sauce loaded with mixed mushrooms which we enjoyed while we were in Northern Italy this summer (it is a region also very close to switzerland, and polenta is very popular there)... But it maybe nice to stick as much to the african theme as possible while we are using an african ingredient.. what kind of sauce do you use to eat "Ugali" with? Do you have some suggestion for something coconutty? (Cris would prefer something on the milder side, not too spicy...)

Old 11-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Ugali

Maize (White Corn Flour) about 2 cups
Water
Salt (Optional)

Bring water in a pan to a boil (about 4 Cups). Reduce heat to medium and put flour, gradually stirring until the consistency is stiff. Stir continuously, and cover for about 5 minutes. Stir again and form into a mound. The Ugali will be done when it pulls from the sides of the pan easily and does not stick. The finished product should look like stiff grits. Cover the pot with a plate and invert the pan so that the Ugali "drops" on the plate. Serve with stew.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:13 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Nyama Keema

Ingredients:
1/2 kilo minced beef
2 tomatoes
1 onion (medium size)
oil
6 whole black peppers
6 cloves
3 Cardamom pods
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1tsp dhania(Fresh coriander)
salt according to taste.
1/4tsp Tumeric
3/4tsp chili powder
2tbs yogurt
1/2tsp ginger
1/4tsp crushed garlic
Instructions:
Finely chop the onion and saute in oil until light brown. Add all the spices including yogurt and finely chopped tomatoes. Cook on medium heat till water is almost dried. Add mince meat mix and dry the water again. Then add water, cover and leave to tenderize and water dries. Enjoy it with coconut rice or ugali
Old 11-17-2005, 11:38 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Whoa, Ugali is indeed quite similar to polenta, isn't it!! It is really interesting that in different parts of the world the very similar idea can occur to minds of different people... I also noticed that some of the recipes you posted have some characteristics of Indian cooking as well, I got that impression with some blend of ingredients, spices in particular. Did the eastern africans have some trading history with India in the past? Or it is just the similar climate that brought out the similar method? Anyway your idea of the stew sounds really good for our cassava flakes... thanks as always for a great recipe!!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Yes, Ugali is very much like polenta. Some Kenyan cooking has been influenced a lot by indian cooking especially the use of spices. During the building of the railway(Kenya-Uganda railway)Indians were brought it to work on the railway, they then stayed and made Kenya their home, hence spicing us up!People from the coast used spices like cloves as there were huge clove farms on Zanzibar Island. Hey, stop me, this is not a history forum!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:22 AM   #17
Master Chef

Cassava is also called Yucca and in many places (like here) you can find it in your regular supermarket.

Kaylinda, do you have a large supermarket or an asian store within reach? If so, you probably can find cocnut milk. If not, PM me. I'd hate for you to go on without it.

Sizzles ... AWESOME recipes! Thanks

And the history is very interesting!
Old 11-18-2005, 11:00 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzles
Yes, Ugali is very much like polenta. Some Kenyan cooking has been influenced a lot by indian cooking especially the use of spices. During the building of the railway(Kenya-Uganda railway)Indians were brought it to work on the railway, they then stayed and made Kenya their home, hence spicing us up!People from the coast used spices like cloves as there were huge clove farms on Zanzibar Island. Hey, stop me, this is not a history forum!
Thanks for sharing the story behind the Kenyan cooking Sizzles!! It is always interesting and intriguing to learn the history behind each regional cuisine, it helps a lot to understand them
Old 11-18-2005, 11:33 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Zanzibar Coffee

Having spoken of Zanzibar, I thought I might give you a taste of Zanzibar. Something hot to keep you warm in the winter.

3 cups water, 3 cracked cardamon pods,3 cloves 6 tsps freshly ground coffee, half tsp freshly ground ginger, half tsp ground nutmeg.Boil water with cardamon pods, add coffee and boil for a further 5 mins, then add the rest of the spices and serve piping hot. Sieve before serving.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:39 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Hiya sizzles. Your recipes are very interesting to me. I wonder how you are faring in finding the ingredients for these dishes in Switzerland.

Tags
None