"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-19-2005, 02:45 AM   #21
Sous Chef

It's easy to find the ingredients here. There are a few asian shops in Geneva and some african shops too. Importantly there is a shop owned by a Tanzanian. That's where I get all the other stuff I cannot get from the asian shops.A lot of the spices are also readily available in most supermarkets here anyway.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:58 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Prawns Mozambique

Prawns
Peanut oil,
Hot peppers or red pepper flakes
Lemon juice( a tbspoon at least)
Garlic cloves(crushed)
Finely chopped dhania(fresh coriander)

Mix up all the ingredients(every ingredient should be according to your taste, I try and go easy on the hot peppers as too much means I won't be able too taste the prawns) and fry. Serve with rice or whatever you wish. I have tried it with pasta and it worked fine.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:16 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
That's a lovely recipe for prawns, sizzles!! I love prawns and when I cook them I like it keeping it simple... when you put too much stuff the delicate flavour of prawns tend to get drowned... it's like a variation of our favourite, cooked with butter, garlic and parsley!
We finally tried the gari (cassava flakes) just the other day, it did came out almost like polenta!! I made the Nyama keema, we skipped the clove (we didn't have any!!) and used sour cream instead of yogurt (all we had was strawberry flavoured!! somehow I didn't think it would go over well with the sauce ) but it came out delicious!!
Old 11-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #24
Sous Chef

^That's what I love about cooking...improvisation. Having said that, I wouldn't be tempted to use strawberry yorgurt...but maybe I should try, one never knows until they try. I can't promise that I will use strawberry yorgurt this year., so you just have to wait a long while until I get over the fact that the only yorgurt I love is natural.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:42 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
That's a lovely recipe for prawns, sizzles!! I love prawns and when I cook them I like it keeping it simple... when you put too much stuff the delicate flavour of prawns tend to get drowned... it's like a variation of our favourite, cooked with butter, garlic and parsley!
We finally tried the gari (cassava flakes) just the other day, it did came out almost like polenta!! I made the Nyama keema, we skipped the clove (we didn't have any!!) and used sour cream instead of yogurt (all we had was strawberry flavoured!! somehow I didn't think it would go over well with the sauce ) but it came out delicious!!
I love prawns way too much. I would love to try your prawn recipes. I have a few myself and would share willingly.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:57 AM   #26
Sous Chef

Maandazi

This is more like a Kenyan doughnut(goes great with tea kenyan style...brewed)
2 cups plain flour
3 tbs sugar
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp corasely ground cardamom
A tsp dry yeast, and oil for frying

Mix all the ingredients with cocnut milk and bind them into a dough and knead the dough(add water if neccessary or flour if it still sticks to the side of the mixing bowl. The dough is ready only when you can lift it off the bowl without it trying hard too to stay there!)leave the dough in a warm place covered for 2 to 3 hours for it to rise. Then roll out the dough and cut intoo whatever shapes using cookie cutters and deep fry in hot oil on both sides.

Can be eaten hot or cold.I usually cook maandazi once a month and keep in an airtight container for at least a week, after that they go hard. Kenyan style tea is basically half milk half water, sugar and tea leaves, slowly brewed until it nearly boils over, then strained, and the tea leaves thrown away.and served piping hot(I can never stand adding cold milkk to my tea, it just makes it cold!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:33 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

African here. Not alot of Africans on English language food forums.

http://bookofrai.com
farid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by farid
African here. Not alot of Africans on English language food forums.
Hi Farid, hard to understand why there are not many africans on the english language food forums considering that from Kenya down to southern africa, english is used, it's only in some West African countries that French is the official language, and Northern African using Arabic. Oh well, great to read recipes from Algeria. I will check out more recipes from the website, and try them out.thanks for the web address.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #29
Sous Chef

Pilau Wa Kuku (chicken Pilau)

margarine
1 small onion chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns, whole
several whole cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamon powder
crushed ginger
crushed garlic
3 sliced tomatoes
2 potato, cubed
several pieces of chicken pieces(on the bone)
4 tbsp dhania, chopped

Method:

In a medium saucepan, melt the margarine and fry the onion until golden. Add all the spices and the salt. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, potato, and chicken, and mix everything together well. Wash the rice and add it in stirring gently to combine with other ingredients. Finally add in the dhania and and fry for about 3 mins and then pour in the water. Cover and bring to the boil. Lower the heat. Uncover and cook until the liquid evaporates. Cover and cook for 20 minutes on very low heat to allow it to steam.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:22 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
This is another lovely dish with touch of India... I bet if you and Yakuta could get together you guys will be able to concoct some stupendous aromatic menu!!

Tags
None