African Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Velochic,
I posted an authentic doro wat recipe under African Recipes.Check it out. I got it from an Ethiopian friend.I love doro wat.hope you enjoy making it.:)

Sorry!! I fogot who posted the recipe. Does the berbere spice mixture differ in different countries of Africa? Many recipes call for berbere "paste". Mine's a dry mixture.

Sorry Velochic, My computer's modem had a problem so have not been able to get online. To answer your question, I have never used beriberi paste, I use the powdery spice. And I don't know any country in Africa that use Beriberi spice as their authentic spice except Ethiopia and Eritrea.I was introduced to it by an Ethiopian friend many years back. I had never heard of it before then.I had been to a few Ethiopian restaurants to eat Doro wat, but had no idea what spice they used. To make a paste out of the powder, add oil and keep stiring it to a paste, on the other hand, just spoon the beriberi powder into the food, it's bound to have the same effect once cooked.

The Portuguese use beriberi sauce (definitely adopted from Africa), even some Hawaiians of Portuguese descent.

I dont think anyone's posted a stew like this. I call it Biafran Stew since the guy who showed me this was from Ghana. I didnt want to try at first it, but I found out the taste of the salty fish with the tomato was very much like my favorite store bought antipasto that they used to sell in stores in jars...

Biafran Stew

Start with a good stewing meat, he would use e.g. beef backbones, you could use any sort of coarser meat. Saute this in a heavy bottom pot in a little oil until the meat is fairly cooked. Add onions and sautee as well.

Add chopped tomatoes and tomatoe sauce, some garlic, then whatever vegetables you would like. I would suggest bell peppers, string beans, maybe zuccinni. Simmer this for some time e.g. 30 min.

Then add a salty fish. He would use mackeral, or sardine, I guess even anchovies would work. Simmer some more e.g 1 hr. then serve this on that traditional bread, what is it? is it made from potato flakes?

I cant recall what spices he used, obiously pepper and salt. I would suggest using thyme as well. Whatever you think is traditional. Perhaps some coriander and cumin....

enjoy. It really reminds me of Italian cooking.

Actually, anchovies would probably HAVE to work around here, since salted mackerel &/or sardines are fairly nonexistent - lol.

This recipe sounds interesting, because normally I don't care much for African food, mostly because many of their dishes, even the spicy ones, call for a lot of the "sweet" spices - cinnamon, cloves, etc. - & I don't really care much for them in savory cooking.

It is a very good recipe, definitely. I found a recipe for a LIberian soup that is quite similar it is called Fish Innard Soup or some such, and it uses a mackeral as well as innards and beef. The book does not mention too many spices...

I was thinking more of the spices and would think Thyme and Bay would be available to west africa. ANother might be coriander and hot pepper flakes. I know they use coriander w/ sardines in certain meditteranean dishes.

what is tinned tomatoes?

I was looking at this recipe for chicken and one of the ingredients is tinned tomatoes. I looked up tinned tomatoes on the internet but didn't get a sufficient definition to know what am I buying. Will it say tinned tomatoe on the label? I'm getting the impression that it is supposed to be tomatoes that are in some type of sause and not water like canned tomatoes. Do I need to look for them in a specialty store?

Allen

Jikoni said:
Any African's out there? I will post my favorite chicken in coconut sauce, known in Kenya as Kuku wa Kupaka

Chicken in coconut sauce

Ok so this was the first recipe from the forum that I tried and it was very delicious. Asa matter of fact just got done cooking and eating it. Thank you for taking the time to post and can't wait to try many others.

Allen

allioop108 said:
Ok so this was the first recipe from the forum that I tried and it was very delicious. Asa matter of fact just got done cooking and eating it. Thank you for taking the time to post and can't wait to try many others.

Allen
Thanks for the lovely feedback allipop108. Glad you enjoyed it.:)

I dug this thread up with a search.

I spent a week in Seattle a few years ago, and must have eaten 8/10 dinners at Ethiopian Restaurants. It's absolutely incredible how good this food is from start to finish.

Right now I'm working on French Bistro and American Regional cuisines, but I picked up an Ethiopian cookbook that is excellent. ISBN 0-9616345-2-9
http://www.amazon.com/Exotic-Ethiop...34529/ref=sr_11_1/002-7012827-2948802?ie=UTF8

I've tried making Injera with Teff, and have gotten reasonably acceptable results, but I need to practice a bit more...:LOL:

Braises and stews are some of my favorite dishes, and I loved almost every We't that I had in Seattle. The nearest place out here for me is out by Boston unfortunately... :(

I bookmarked this thread to refer to later on... thanks! :)

Ngege. (Fried Lake fish with groundnut sauce)

Nicholas, I am glad you are enjoying African recipes.:)
'Ngege' is the name of a fish from the lake Victoria, where my mum originally comes from and lives. this recipe can be used with any other type of fish.

1 big or two small sized 'ngege'
2 medium sized onions
2 tspoon curry powder
1 cup cooking oil
2 tbspoon groundnut paste
salt and pepper to taste,
1 cup of water.

Cut the flesh of fish across about 1/4 inch deep in 3 places on both sides, rub slt, pepper and curry powder into the cuts
Heat oil in a a large frying pan until smoky hot, put in the fish and don't turn until brown and crispy. Turn over and brown and the other side. Reduce heat and cover soo the inside is cooked. Remove from pan and place on dish, keep hot. Then slice and fry the onions, scatter all over the fish. In pan that was used to fry fish and onions, put groundnut paste and sesoning, stir gently adding cold water a little at a time. This will make the sauce. Return to the heat and simmer until sauce is thick.then pour over the fish and serve.

I ran across this thread while I was searching Ethiopian info - I'm absolutely fascinated with the entire thread!! My question - is jikoni still on the boards?? What a wonderful source for great sounding dishes - I now have 18 pages to print out and figure out where to start!!!!

Oh my, what fun!

urmaniac13, are you still trying these dishes???? I'm just fascinated.

cjs said:
I ran across this thread while I was searching Ethiopian info - I'm absolutely fascinated with the entire thread!! My question - is jikoni still on the boards?? What a wonderful source for great sounding dishes - I now have 18 pages to print out and figure out where to start!!!!

Oh my, what fun!

Hi CJS, Yes, Jikoni is very much alive and kicking in DC :) I am glad you like the recipes. Enjoy African cooking. I will post some more.If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. Bon appetit.

Jikoni said:
Thanks Urmaniac13. I will post some more recipes. Meanwhile about the cassava flakes, there are some west african recipes that use them but none that I know of in Kenya. We just boil the whole cassava then when ready take out the outer skin and eat it. I like it with tea as a substitute for bread.
hello, about the cassave flake(garri) i can help with any of the soup they prepare in west africa(nigeria).
edikang ikong soup(vegetable soup)
400g pumpkin leaves
700g waterleaves/ spinach
200g smoked dried fish/ meat
300g meat(goat, mutton, or beef)
200g stock fish,
100g snails
50g whelks
150g prawns
100g ground crayfish
500ml stock( from boiled meat)
215mls fresh palm oil
3 stock cubes
1 teaspoon fresh/dry hot pepper
method: 1. pick the vegetables(pumpkin & spinach leaves) from the stalk, soak in salted water for about 5 minutes to remove all the sands or dirt from the leaves, and shred finely into tiny small pieces.( after shredding each leaves, put them aside).
2. wash and season the meat, stockfish until tender.
3. blend crayfish into powerdering form.
4. blend pepper too.
5.remove snails from shell, wash with alum/ salt/ limes to remove the slime. wash thoroughly until the stickness is lost, then slit it open, remove the internal parts and cut into desired pieces.
6.back to method 2. when the meat is cooked, add the blended crayfish, pepper,but make sure that the stock from the boiled meat is not much, or take out some and reserve them for use later.
7. add the other meats e.g, snails, prawns, whelks etc., and allow to cook for 3 minutes.
8 add the shredded pumpkin leaves first, after 3 minutes, add the water leaves/ spinach, cover the lid half way, cook for 3minutes,
8. add the palm oil, and alow to cook for another 2 minutes, then stir and taste for salt, if the right seasoning is obtained, bring down from the boil and open the lid to release the heat.

hi urmaniac, i didnt direct you on how to prepare the cassave flake( garri). it can be used to eat the vegetable soup too.....

cassava flake..

2 cups of garri
400ml boiling water..

method....
1. sieve the garri, to take out any dirt.
2. boil the water, if hot, put the water into a bowl, and sprinkle the garri evenly on oi. the garri will absorb the water.
3. stop sprinkling the garri before all the water is absorbed. if necessary add more water and some garri, as some garri absorbs much water, the product should not be too hard or it will be difficult to digest.
4. use a wooden spoon to mix the mixtuer by folding it in..mix properly to have all the mixture together and into a smooth thick paste...
5. dish out as desired, using a different dish for the soup...
enjoy your meal....

Oh, I'm so glad you have not 'moved' on, Jikoni!! And thanks for the offer of help. So far I've made Injeera (Injera??) - did not have Tef flour (did find some last weekend!), made it with whole wheat that was suggested as a substitute along with some all purpose flour.

And, I made a 'tablecloth' with them - fun!

Also made Siga Wot - oh my, we loved this!! and a take off of - and I'm not sure whether this is spelled 'Iab' or 'Lab' ??? cottage cheese & yogurt topping - very good also.

so, you can see I'm having fun with these new flavors and now that I found Tef flour, I'm ready to go again with all the recipes I've printed out.

Again, I thank you all for the great ideas to get us started on this adventure!

LOL, Jean - we made the menu Sunday night - did all the prep Saturday. We couldn't make the Injeera fast enough - the "cheese" was on the island behind us, we'd cook one, slap it on a plate, put some cheese on it and fight over it. Jeeze it was good. The Siga Wot was fantastic - I made a half recipe because it was just the two of us - we licked the bowls - it was soooooo good.

Jikoni we made the Maandazi last night and served them with a Mango, raspberry, and lemon sorbet "bombe". Wow perfect end to a meal! Next time I'm going to make a mango, coconut, and raspberry bombe. Bob loved the Maandazi! Had more for breakfast this am.

The Queen of Sheba salad was good too - what a kick of flavor!:LOL:

We also found an African Caribbean grocery store right here in Stockton. The owner was just getting ready to leave - but she stopped and gave us a tour of a lot of the ingredients for both African and Caribbean cooking. We bought some yellow beans from Ghana that I'm dying to try but have no idea. What a hoot our weekend was!

Last edited:
KAYLINDA said:
Neat blog site! Great pictures as well as recipes!

Thank you for the recipe Sizzles...can you substitute anything for the coconut milk? We don't have it around here...Thanks!

I get my coconut milk at the 99¢ Only store. I have also purchased it at Cost Plus World Market, which is a great source for foods and beverages (especially wines!) from all over the world. *

*I guess that where they get the World Market part from, huh?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom