African Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm doing my menu tomorrow nite Sharon!!! Aren't the flavors just great? I'm thinking Asian cooking is a thing of the past for me for a while!!! :)

I agree. These flavors are so lush and yummy. Bob would like the Queen of Sheba Salad as a cold soup! D@m that was good! I could eat that a lot!
:LOL:
I'm going to play with them again this weekend. I'm doing appys for 135 people - while I'd like to do the injeera (didn't think they were so good cold) I think we'll stick with pita chips with the cheese and a hummus and then I'm going to meatballs in the siga wot seasonings and sauce. Also something with cucumbers - perhaps little cucumber cups with a tuna or salmon mousse for something a little lighter.

Tonight's the night!! My Iab (or Lab) is draining as we speak and I'm all set to make the 'donuts' this a.m. and go from there.

I wish someone would tell me if it is "Iab" or "Lab" - the cottage cheese/yogurt mixture. ?????

cjs said:
Tonight's the night!! My Iab (or Lab) is draining as we speak and I'm all set to make the 'donuts' this a.m. and go from there.

I wish someone would tell me if it is "Iab" or "Lab" - the cottage cheese/yogurt mixture. ?????

It's Iab Cjs. I have never really made it, but you have got me thinking. So happy you guys are enjoying these dishes. And Btw, Jikoni will never 'move on' when it comes to DC. :)

"Jikoni will never 'move on' when it comes to DC" - Well, thank God jikoni!! As hooked as Sharon and I are on this type of foods, we'll be questioning you often, I'm sure! Thanks for your help so far.

The dinner last nite was just wonderful!!

our menu
Siga Wot
img_433630_0_553f9902f7e9ccd17e3882dc9169571d.jpg

Iab
Injeera
Queen of Sheba salad
Tej - I didn't make this, did you Sharon??
Maandazi - in fact, just had one with my a.m. coffee!!

(Note: WOW, can't control where the pictures are going to end up!!!) Great dinner!!

img_433630_1_8f064d4dcfd204d8cf849d3f43c3ca10.jpg

Last edited:
We didn't make the Tej. We opened a wonderful Riesling that was perfect with the dinner.

Last night I did the appy's for the fishermen. Because of time constraints I cheated and used frozen meatballs - tripled the rest of the siga wot recipe and threw in the 6 lbs of meat balls and let them simmer in the amazing sauce for a couple hours in a very slow oven. I doubled the Iab recipe ( found a jar of "Spring Salad Herbs", we read the ingredients and estimated the porportions of dill, shallots, chives, and garlic - that's what I used for this batch and it was fantastic! Made a huge batch of hummus, and a tapenade at the last moment. We thought we should do a play it "safe" and did a smoked salmon mousse in cucumber cups. I seasoned the salmon with cumin and grains of paradise - total waste, it just got lost in the smoke.

All in all it was a great evening!:chef::chef::chef:

Mchuzi Wa Kigada (cassava leaves stew/soup?!)

I had this for the first time. My mum is getting more and more creative, I didn't even know cassava leaves were edible!

1 kg young cassava leaves
Water depending on whether you want it as a soup or stew
1 large onion
tomato paste
5 large okra(Okra has no plural right? Can't say Okras can you?)
100ml coconut milk

Boil cassava leaves in salted water for 10 mins, then remove from fire and add cold water, drain, pound using a pestle and mortar or use a blender, then fry onions, add cassava leaves, okra, coconut milk, stir well and let cook for another 20 mins, add tomato paste stir and simmer for another 10 mins and then serve with rice, ugali, boiled cassava or sweet potato.

I will try to use a different vegetable for this recipe like Spinach or kale. It will take a shorter time to cook as tha blanching process and pounding will be omitted as these are not as tough as cassava leaves.

Btw, cassava leaves can be toxic hence the long cooking process, and only buy edible cassava leaves, do not go picking your own.

Last edited:
Millet ugali

Following my ugali recipe, you can choose to have a different type of flour like millet or plantains or sorghum. My mum made ugali from millet flour and ground dry plantain. It was delicious.

Chilli Mango

Another way of eating mangoes!
Mix chilli powder with salt and sprinkle on the mango pieces. You can actually rub this on sweet corn too.

Chips(french fries) Masala

Here is another way of cooking chips that I enjoy while in Kenya.
Fry your potatoes chips, make sure they are not too crispy. Crush garlic very finely, Add the chilli powder and salt and mix well to form an evenly mixed "chutney". If you like your food spicy, go heavy on the garlic and chilli powder.Add 4 tbsp of oil and fry onions till they are softened and very slightly browned. Add the tomatoes and turn to medium heat; stir constantly for about 10-12 minutes or until oil appears on the side of the pan. Add ketchup and stir.Add the fries, turn the heat down and mix thoroughly. Leave for another 10 minutes Garnish with liberal amounts of coriander, the more the better.

Gosh Jikoni, your Mchuzi Wa Kigada dish reminds me very much of a similar dish that my late mum used to prepare a long time ago. She used cassava (tapioca) stems (the edible ones of course:LOL:) grown in our backyard, cut in slices and then blanched. She then fried the chilli paste that consisted of chilli, candlenuts, tumeric, shallots and lemon grass before adding pounded dried shrimp (or fresh ones), stems and coconut milk. It is really delicious especially served with plain rice and having the gravy poured over it!! You can also do young sweet potato leaves, water convolvus, and cabbage this way.

Recently I was ecstatic to find gari (dried cassava granules) in one of the supermarkets here. Needles to say, I proceeded to prepare those yummy desserts that I always wanted to do.

Thanks for bringing back the memories!:)

boufa06 your late mum's recipe sounds delicious. I have got to try it someday. The way it's served is the same way Mchuzi wa Kigada is served, poured over rice. It's soooooooooo Yummmmmmmmy.

Mchuzi Wa Samaki (Fish Curry)

Ingredients
one kilo whole fresh fish

oil for frying

one to two cups of coconut milk

one large onion chopped

two or three tomatoes chopped

one or two sweet green peppers chopped

ten cloves of garlic minced

one or two teaspoons of garam masala or curry powder

tamarind paste or powder to taste

salt

Cooking Method
Briefly fry fish in hot oil. Put fish in saucepan, cover in coconut milk and add tamarind. Set aside.
Vigorously stir together the onion, tomatoes, green pepper, garlic, and spices. Add to the fish and coconut milk.
Simmer slowly on low heat until fish is fully cooked and sauce is thickened. Serve with chapati or rice.

OH this thread is REALLY make me hungry!!!! Thanks heaps for the recipes!!! (I am an espresso coffee drinker, your version (many many posts ago) is getting tried tonight :D

My bf doesn't like coconut milk in his food, doesn't like the sweet stuff for lunch or dinner :( .. i lurveeeeee it!

Is there anything with coconut that doesn't have a sweet tinge to it? sometimes i can't even taste anything sweet and he says its TOO sweet..hmmm

Coconut milk sweet? It never occurred to me, I better taste really some! Maybe it's coz over the years I have had, it it never occurred to me as sweet. It's probably tinned(canned)coconut, maybe try fresh coconut. Grate, it and use a muslin cloth(or similar) pour water and put a container under and gently sieve the coconut. A normal sieve will not draw out the milk properly, it does it too quickly. Sorry this took so long to be answered.

Matoke Cakes

Ingredients(makes 12 cakes)
4 cooking bananas boiled and peeled
2-3 boiled potatoes
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 large onion finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
1 green pepper finely cubed
1 carrot finely cubed
2 spinach leaves finely chopped
2 beaten eggs
1 cup breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste

Mash the bananas and potatoes together until smooth, add salt and pepper and nutmeg, mix well, add the chopped onion, coriander, green pepper, carrot and spinach. Mix well with your hands, then shape into round shape(or any other shapes). Beat up the eggs, then dip the cakes into it then into the breadcrumbs. Shallow fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and serve. Makes a lovely snack or serve with whatever you like as a main meal.

Ingredients
one kilo whole fresh fish

oil for frying

one to two cups of coconut milk

one large onion chopped

two or three tomatoes chopped

one or two sweet green peppers chopped

ten cloves of garlic minced

one or two teaspoons of garam masala or curry powder

tamarind paste or powder to taste

salt

Cooking Method
Briefly fry fish in hot oil. Put fish in saucepan, cover in coconut milk and add tamarind. Set aside.
Vigorously stir together the onion, tomatoes, green pepper, garlic, and spices. Add to the fish and coconut milk.
Simmer slowly on low heat until fish is fully cooked and sauce is thickened. Serve with chapati or rice.

HELLO NURSE

That sounds really good, I can't wait to try that.

There's a little African specialty grocery store near me, I've always wanted to go in there. These recipes will give me an excuse.

GREAT THREAD!

Any African's out there? I will post my favorite chicken in coconut sauce, known in Kenya as Kuku wa Kupaka

Chicken in coconut sauce

Any meaty parts of chicken on the bone (I use chicken drumsticks)
Fresh garlic(three cloves depending on how much you love garlic!)
Ginger paste(according to taste too)
Half green chilli
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups coconut milk
1 small finely chopped onion
I tinned tomato
salt to taste
chopped dhania(fresh coriander)for garnishing

Method
Marinate the chicken pieces in garlic, ginger, chillies, lemon juice, (I put all in a blender to make a paste) and a tablespoon oil and leave for 1 - 2 hours. Saute finely chopped onion in oil, add tomatos and mix thoroughly on a medium heat. Add fresh chillies, lemon juice and coconut milk and stir all the time to make a thick gravy on a low heat. Then, separately Roast chicken pieces until they are cooked.Then place the chicken in a dish, pour the thick coconut sauce over the roasted chicken and again put the dish in the oven for 10 minutes basting the chicken with the gravy from time to time.this can be served with
rice and chapati, and garnish with chopped coriander.:chef:

This recipe is like Indian Recipe

Back
Top Bottom