"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Ethnic Foods

Old 12-20-2005, 10:47 AM   #41
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzles
It's interesting because a few days ago, I went to an African cultural night and they had a similar 'pap' thing from Nigeria.I am curious how many countries in Africa have the same sort of thing all in a different name.
I'd bet just about all of them. Interesting how so many cultures seem to make use of corn meal as a staple. I know it is probably because it isn't as expensive as other types of food, and is nutritious and filling.

Have you ever heard of Bobotie? I make this fairly often, and it's an interesting dish with an interesting history (blend of Malaysian, Dutch, African styles) - there are lots of recipes for it on the web. I have a very old one from a friend, and we like to soak the fruit in sherry before adding to the curry. I don't have the recipe with me know, but I can look it up at home.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:33 AM   #42
Sous Chef

^No never heard of Bobotie, Would happily try it if you can find the recipe.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:07 AM   #43
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzles
^No never heard of Bobotie, Would happily try it if you can find the recipe.
Hey Hya!! How are you? I found the recipe, sounds really good!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobotie
Old 12-30-2005, 03:21 PM   #44
Sous Chef

Hiya Licia,Urmaniac13 (I know you laugh every time you type, Hi, Hiya!)thanks a lot, I have looked at the recipe over and over again, sounds interesting, but on the web page it mentions Kenya. I have never come across it ever, the name doesn't even ring a bell, but knowing me, I am willing to try it out and find out exactly it's origin.It had to have started from somewhere right?!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:12 PM   #45
Head Chef

Hi Sizzles, Sandy, I just came back from staying at Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge in Orlando Florida.

I had a fabulous time. The entire resort has an African theme. They even employ exchange students from Africa - lots of them from Botswana, Pretoria, Capetown and Kenya.

The lodge has giraffes, zebras and other African animals and birds that you can watch from your room. It was a trip I will not forget soon and nor will my boys.

I ate twice at a restaurant called BOMA's. It's modeled like an African marketplace and the food is a buffet with a lot of African delicacies. I ate Boboti there made with Lamb and it was really good. I also tried a corn mash (like grits) with a vegetable stew. A lot of dishes used sweet and savory (sultanas are used in salads, breads, stews etc). I also liked the chicken which was seasoned with cumin, chilli powder and strong spices almost similar to Indian cuisine.

Anyway the mention of Boboti brought back my vacation memories. I can't wait to go back there. I will have to start working hard again so that I can make the money because the place is not cheap but it was well worth it. My boys learned so much about Africa. Now they want me to bring them there :-).
Old 01-01-2006, 09:48 AM   #46
Sous Chef

Wow Yakuta!glad you had a great time. I am envious, it's cold here, and more so as you got to eat boboti. I ksaw the recipe and wonder how I have lived all these years without it. trust me, next week, Boboti.You ate all those lovely dishes...mmmhhhh. Doggy bag for me?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:19 AM   #47
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta

I ate twice at a restaurant called BOMA's. It's modeled like an African marketplace and the food is a buffet with a lot of African delicacies. I ate Boboti there made with Lamb and it was really good. I also tried a corn mash (like grits) with a vegetable stew. A lot of dishes used sweet and savory (sultanas are used in salads, breads, stews etc). I also liked the chicken which was seasoned with cumin, chilli powder and strong spices almost similar to Indian cuisine.
:-).
Btw Yakuta, 'Boma' is a swahili word for 'homestead'
Old 01-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #48
Sous Chef

Doro Wat

Ingredients :

Chicken pieces(fleshy) 2 pieces per person
Vegetable oil for frying
About 2 onions per person coarsely chopped(this dish requires lots of onions)
2 cloves garlic chopped per person
tomato paste
I tsp per person Berbere seasoning
1 Hard-boiled eggs, peeled (optional) per person

Method :

Heat oil in a sauce pan, then add the onions. Cook over medium heat until somewhat soft, then add garlic. When onions are translucent, stir in tomato paste and about 1/4 cup of water. add berbere to the mixture. add chicken and coat with the sauce, and cover. Simmer, stirring often to make sure the sauce doesn't stick or burn, add water as necessary to keep the sauce the consistency of thick ketchup. If you're using eggs (traditional in doro wat), add them whole to the mixture after 30 minutes to boil together( i usually soft boil the eggs separately, shell them and add to the meal half an hour before serving
Simmer on the stove top about one hour. The sauce should be a rich, deep red. When the dish is done, hold in a warm oven until ready to serve.Serve with enjera bread.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:47 AM   #49
Sous Chef

Vitumbua

Ingredients:
2 cups maizemeal
2 cups homebaking flour
1 cup sugar
pinch of salt
1 tbsp dry yeast
1 egg, beaten (optional)
vegetable oil for deep frying

Method:
Dissolve the yeast in a little warm water (about a tablespoon) and set aside. Mix the 2 flours in a bowl, then add the sugar and salt. Mix them up with your hand. Mix in enough warm water to make a runny but stiff paste. Add in the yeast and mix well with your hands. Set aside and cover to rise to double in size for 2 hours. After rising, mix in the beaten egg and deep fry the mixture in balls that you’ll drop by hand into the hot oil.Enjoy with a cup of tea.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #50
Sous Chef

Mchicha wa Nazi na Karanga

Spinach with coconut and peanuts

1 lb spinach
1 cup coconut milk
half cup finely crushed peanuts
2 medium onions chopped
2 medium tomatoes chopped
2 fresh green chillies
1 tbs oil
and salt to taste

Chop spinach finely, saute the chopped onions in the oil until soft, add spinach and cook for 3 to 5 mins. Add tomatoes, green chillies, chopped peanuts and coconut milk and cook for a further 10 mins. I like it served with rice, chapati or ugali.

Tags
None