"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 AM   #81
Sous Chef

I'm doing my menu tomorrow nite Sharon!!! Aren't the flavors just great? I'm thinking Asian cooking is a thing of the past for me for a while!!! :)

Old 04-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #82
Sous Chef

I agree. These flavors are so lush and yummy. Bob would like the Queen of Sheba Salad as a cold soup! D@m that was good! I could eat that a lot!

I'm going to play with them again this weekend. I'm doing appys for 135 people - while I'd like to do the injeera (didn't think they were so good cold) I think we'll stick with pita chips with the cheese and a hummus and then I'm going to meatballs in the siga wot seasonings and sauce. Also something with cucumbers - perhaps little cucumber cups with a tuna or salmon mousse for something a little lighter.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:15 AM   #83
Sous Chef

Tonight's the night!! My Iab (or Lab) is draining as we speak and I'm all set to make the 'donuts' this a.m. and go from there.

I wish someone would tell me if it is "Iab" or "Lab" - the cottage cheese/yogurt mixture. ?????
Old 04-26-2007, 10:44 AM   #84
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
Tonight's the night!! My Iab (or Lab) is draining as we speak and I'm all set to make the 'donuts' this a.m. and go from there.

I wish someone would tell me if it is "Iab" or "Lab" - the cottage cheese/yogurt mixture. ?????
It's Iab Cjs. I have never really made it, but you have got me thinking. So happy you guys are enjoying these dishes. And Btw, Jikoni will never 'move on' when it comes to DC.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:26 AM   #85
Sous Chef

"Jikoni will never 'move on' when it comes to DC" - Well, thank God jikoni!! As hooked as Sharon and I are on this type of foods, we'll be questioning you often, I'm sure! Thanks for your help so far.

The dinner last nite was just wonderful!!

our menu
Siga Wot
Iab
Injeera
Queen of Sheba salad
Tej - I didn't make this, did you Sharon??
Maandazi - in fact, just had one with my a.m. coffee!!

(Note: WOW, can't control where the pictures are going to end up!!!) Great dinner!!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #86
Sous Chef

We didn't make the Tej. We opened a wonderful Riesling that was perfect with the dinner.

Last night I did the appy's for the fishermen. Because of time constraints I cheated and used frozen meatballs - tripled the rest of the siga wot recipe and threw in the 6 lbs of meat balls and let them simmer in the amazing sauce for a couple hours in a very slow oven. I doubled the Iab recipe ( found a jar of "Spring Salad Herbs", we read the ingredients and estimated the porportions of dill, shallots, chives, and garlic - that's what I used for this batch and it was fantastic! Made a huge batch of hummus, and a tapenade at the last moment. We thought we should do a play it "safe" and did a smoked salmon mousse in cucumber cups. I seasoned the salmon with cumin and grains of paradise - total waste, it just got lost in the smoke.

All in all it was a great evening!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #87
Sous Chef

Mchuzi Wa Kigada (cassava leaves stew/soup?!)

I had this for the first time. My mum is getting more and more creative, I didn't even know cassava leaves were edible!

1 kg young cassava leaves
Water depending on whether you want it as a soup or stew
1 large onion
tomato paste
5 large okra(Okra has no plural right? Can't say Okras can you?)
100ml coconut milk

Boil cassava leaves in salted water for 10 mins, then remove from fire and add cold water, drain, pound using a pestle and mortar or use a blender, then fry onions, add cassava leaves, okra, coconut milk, stir well and let cook for another 20 mins, add tomato paste stir and simmer for another 10 mins and then serve with rice, ugali, boiled cassava or sweet potato.

I will try to use a different vegetable for this recipe like Spinach or kale. It will take a shorter time to cook as tha blanching process and pounding will be omitted as these are not as tough as cassava leaves.

Btw, cassava leaves can be toxic hence the long cooking process, and only buy edible cassava leaves, do not go picking your own.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:28 AM   #88
Sous Chef

Millet ugali

Following my ugali recipe, you can choose to have a different type of flour like millet or plantains or sorghum. My mum made ugali from millet flour and ground dry plantain. It was delicious.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #89
Sous Chef

Chilli Mango

Another way of eating mangoes!
Mix chilli powder with salt and sprinkle on the mango pieces. You can actually rub this on sweet corn too.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #90
Sous Chef

Chips(french fries) Masala

Here is another way of cooking chips that I enjoy while in Kenya.
Fry your potatoes chips, make sure they are not too crispy. Crush garlic very finely, Add the chilli powder and salt and mix well to form an evenly mixed "chutney". If you like your food spicy, go heavy on the garlic and chilli powder.Add 4 tbsp of oil and fry onions till they are softened and very slightly browned. Add the tomatoes and turn to medium heat; stir constantly for about 10-12 minutes or until oil appears on the side of the pan. Add ketchup and stir.Add the fries, turn the heat down and mix thoroughly. Leave for another 10 minutes Garnish with liberal amounts of coriander, the more the better.

Tags
None