"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-04-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
Sous Chef

African Recipes

Any African's out there? I will post my favorite chicken in coconut sauce, known in Kenya as Kuku wa Kupaka

Chicken in coconut sauce

Any meaty parts of chicken on the bone (I use chicken drumsticks)
Fresh garlic(three cloves depending on how much you love garlic!)
Ginger paste(according to taste too)
Half green chilli
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 cups coconut milk
1 small finely chopped onion
I tinned tomato
salt to taste
chopped dhania(fresh coriander)for garnishing

Method
Marinate the chicken pieces in garlic, ginger, chillies, lemon juice, (I put all in a blender to make a paste) and a tablespoon oil and leave for 1 - 2 hours. Saute finely chopped onion in oil, add tomatos and mix thoroughly on a medium heat. Add fresh chillies, lemon juice and coconut milk and stir all the time to make a thick gravy on a low heat. Then, separately Roast chicken pieces until they are cooked.Then place the chicken in a dish, pour the thick coconut sauce over the roasted chicken and again put the dish in the oven for 10 minutes basting the chicken with the gravy from time to time.this can be served with
rice and chapati, and garnish with chopped coriander.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

here's a link to a friend's cookbook/blog of home style algerian cuisine. so far i have made the felfel peppers, and they were fantastic.

http://mybookofrai.typepad.com/cuisinealgerienne/

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
here's a link to a friend's cookbook/blog of home style algerian cuisine. so far i have made the felfel peppers, and they were fantastic.

http://mybookofrai.typepad.com/cuisinealgerienne/
Neat blog site! Great pictures as well as recipes!

Thank you for the recipe Sizzles...can you substitute anything for the coconut milk? We don't have it around here...Thanks!
Old 11-05-2005, 08:06 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Sizzles I have been waiting for you to post some Kenyan recipe, I am not familiar with African cuisine and have been curious.... and the first encounter here seems mighty good!!

A little while ago we bought a bag of "Gari" (cassava flakes) out of curiosity, but we are still not sure exactly what to do with it... do you have any suggestions??
Old 11-14-2005, 06:15 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Thank you for the recipe Sizzles...can you substitute anything for the coconut milk? We don't have it around here...Thanks![/QUOTE]

You can try cream, but then it means you would have to call it 'Chicken in cream sauce' Try some asian shops around you for coconut milk.This recipe is from the Kenyan coast hence the coconut. Nearly everything is cooked in coconut.
Old 11-14-2005, 06:25 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Sizzles I have been waiting for you to post some Kenyan recipe, I am not familiar with African cuisine and have been curious.... and the first encounter here seems mighty good!!

A little while ago we bought a bag of "Gari" (cassava flakes) out of curiosity, but we are still not sure exactly what to do with it... do you have any suggestions??
Thanks Urmaniac13. I will post some more recipes. Meanwhile about the cassava flakes, there are some west african recipes that use them but none that I know of in Kenya. We just boil the whole cassava then when ready take out the outer skin and eat it. I like it with tea as a substitute for bread.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:58 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Irio

This dish originated from Central Kenya but has been adapted by other communities.
2 green corn cobs
about 400 gr beans
4 potatoes
2 cups chopped spinach(or pumpkin leaves)
Salt and pepper
Cut the kernels off the green corn cob. Boil the corn with the beans until soft. Peel and wash the potatoes and add the corn and the beans along with the chopped spinach. Boil together until the potatoes are soft. Season with salt and pepper and mash.Traditionally served with stew.

Instead of having mashed potatoes all the time I vary it by making irio.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:06 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzles
Thanks Urmaniac13. I will post some more recipes. Meanwhile about the cassava flakes, there are some west african recipes that use them but none that I know of in Kenya. We just boil the whole cassava then when ready take out the outer skin and eat it. I like it with tea as a substitute for bread.
Okay sizzles, sorry I think I exposed my ignorance, I should have known the Kenyan cuisine and the west african cuisine must be very different... anyway what does whole cassava taste like? are they like potatoes?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:55 AM   #9
Sous Chef

^ Yes I would say cassavas taste a bit like potatoes,except that they are a lot drier and stringy from all the visible fibers.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:11 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Thanks Sizzles for the information, now I am thinking maybe we can create a dish a little like polenta with some sauce. It is really interesting to learn about new kind of cuisine!!

Tags
None