Ahi Poke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spryte

Senior Cook
Ahi Poke
2 pounds fresh tuna steaks, cubed
1 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon sambal olek

In a medium size non-reactive bowl, combine Ahi, soy sauce, green onions, sesame oil, sesame seeds and sambal olek; mix well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

I made this for New Year's Eve and it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These flavors blend so well in this dish. If you like raw ahi.... this is a MUST try. Even if you have never tried raw ahi, this is soooooo good!!!!!!!

This actually sounds extraordinarily good... quick question though... is sambal olek garliky at all? I would probably end up substituting it for my mongolian fire oil since I have that at hand and love it to death, but again its very infuse with garlic besides the peppers so I dont know if that would ruin the balance of a raw dish which tends to be much more delicate. Any suggestions?

There seem to be a lot of different versions of sambal oelek. My favorite is an Indonesian chili paste which I could buy at the grocery store in Canada. It's not, unfortunately, available where I live, so I'm forcing myself to make it from scratch, which is a bit difficult in that the peppers are completely different here, so it ends up being not the same as I grew to love. My favorite incantation was red chillies, vinegar, and salt. That's it.

Digression over.

Sambal oelek can be as simple as ground chillies and salt. Or it can have vinegar in it as well. It can have garlic or ginger or onions or carrots or sugar added, as well, and I wouldn't doubt that there are other variations available on top of those. From what I've been reading, it depends on the region where the sambal oelek is from.

The one I used was chili peppers, vinegar and salt. Just tasting it before I added it to the recipe, it was spicy. (too spicy for the kids) But adding it this recipe it just added an extra layer of depth to the flavor. This really IS extraordinarily good. This does make quite a large recipe. But sooooooooooo tasty... I can wait to have this on a hot summer day. YUM

You can quickly fry the leftovers for another taste treat. Don't over cook. Rare is better.

When we were last in Atlanta, 'old' Hawaii friends of ours made poke! Sigh! It was great. I'd never heard of the condiment mentioned (sorry, it isn't sitting in front of me, so can't reproduce it) by name, but know exactly what it is. But Yummm Ymmm. Brings back old memories.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom