Albondigas (Mexican Meatballs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MexicoKaren

Head Chef
Here is a yummy recipe that uses tomates verde (tomatillos) for thhose of you who have been following the red sauce/green sauce thread:

ALBONDIGAS (MEATBALLS) EN CHIPOTLE

Ingredients:

The broth -

5 tomatoes (or used canned, chopped tomatoes)
1 clove garlic
1 small onion
1 TBS canned adobado sauce from canned chipotles in adobado
3 TBS oil
3 cups water or chicken stock . If you use water, add chicken or tomato stock granules to taste

In a blender or food processor, blend the tomatoes with the garlic, onion and chipotle sauce. Fry in the oil for about 10 minutes to mix the flavors. Add the water or broth and cook for 10 minutes.

The meatballs -

½ kilo (one pound) ground beef
½ kilo (one pound) ground pork
1 cup cooked rice
4-5 tomatillos
2 eggs
5 leaves mint (I could not find mint and used about ¼ cup chopped cilantro)
2 chipotle chiles in adobado sauce
2 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1 TBS chicken or beef stock granules

Mix the chopped tomatillos, garlic, onion, mint/cilantro, eggs, stock granules and chiles in the blender or food processor. Put the meat in a bowl and add the rice and stock granules. Stir in the blended mixture and mix well. Shape into balls the size of walnuts and cook in the tomato broth for 15-20 minutes. Serves eight.

I love anything mexican, and this one sounds really good. I like the idea of cilantro instead of mint - makes more sense to me. I really like to use tomatillos in my enchilada sauce.

Here is a yummy recipe that uses tomates verde (tomatillos) for thhose of you who have been following the red sauce/green sauce thread:

ALBONDIGAS (MEATBALLS) EN CHIPOTLE
<snip>

Hi, Karen. These sound great. How would you serve them, or with what?

I'm going to a neighborhood potluck next week and these sound like an interesting thing to bring.

I served them with Mexican style rice and some nice soft and warm corn tortillas. To bring them to a potluck, you could just bring some tortillas and some garnishes, like sliced avocado, chopped onion, maybe some fresh salsa and lime wedges. This recipe makes alot of little meatballs, and a Mexican would just eat them wrapped up in a tortilla.

Back
Top Bottom