Alpine Parsnip Cream & Pinenut Pesto Garnish
The Roman Emperor Tiberius was a great fan of the humble ivory colored carrot looking vegetable called Parsnip ... The Romans introduced them to England, and thus, England to Ireland ... Furthermore, the Romans used them for medicinal purposes. They had migrated to the USA and West Indies and Caribbean in the 17th century ...
My mother used to prepare this creamed soup as her mom had prepared it ... Here is my renovated recipe which includes a lovely dash of Pinenut Pesto ...
Alpine Parsnip Cream - Serves 6
For the Cream Soup:
800 grams of Parsnips peeled and chopped
4 tblsps olive oil
2 tsp celery salt
2 medium potatoes peeled and chopped
1 stalk celery chopped
1 leek chopped
1 litre of home made chicken stock
285 Ml. cream
For the Pesto:
1/2 cup pinenuts
1/2 cup roasted hazelnuts or walnuts or almonds
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley chopped or Basil
1 tblsp lemon
1/4 cup Pecorino Fiore Sardo or Reggiano Parmesano
1) to make the pesto, put all of the ingredients in a food processor and mix to a coarse paste. Season and reserve for garnish.
2) Heat the oven to 400 degrees farenheit / 200 centig degrees and place the parsnips, half the olive oil, the celery salt in a large roasting pan or tray, toss to coat with oil and roast for 40 minutes until tender.
3) Now, sauté type Dutch Oven : the onion, celery and leek in a sauté pan over medium heat until tender and golden - 5 minutes
4) add the potato
5) add the stock and bring to boil and then reduce the heat to simmer and cook 15 mins. until potatoes are tender
6) now put the roasted parsnips to the pot, and mix well to combine and with a hand mixer, blend the ingredients together
7) return the pot to simmer on low hear and stir in the cream slowly and simmer until just heated through
8) Adjust the seasoning if necessary and serve this creamed soup with a tablespoon if Pesto ...
I serve this cream with crusty warm bread and a Prosecco or Sparkling white wine Cava ... Or a Rosé Pinot Noir Sparkling Wine ...