Any Jambalaya fans here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My Gumbo
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. flour
1/3 c. chopped yellow onion
1/3 c. chopped celery
1/3 c. chopped bell pepper, red and/or green
4 minced cloves of garlic
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
1 c. small cubes of ham
6-8 c. chicken stock or broth(may need a bit more)
1 lg. can of diced tomatoes, with the juice
1 20-oz. bag of sliced frozen okra(I like extra in my gumbo!)
1 lb. small deveined, peeled shrimp
salt, pepper and spices
chopped parsley

I melt the butter and add the flour. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring all of the time. (Make sure you have the veggies chopped and ready to go before you start!!) You want a roux the color between milk chocolate and dark, be careful not to burn the roux!! Just keep stirring constantly!! Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers; let cook over low heat until they sweat. Add the broth, tomatoes and chicken. Stir well and add a bit of cajun or creole seasonings and fresh thyme leaves or a tbs. of dry. Turn heat to medium. Cook with a lid on for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Add ham and a splash of worcheshire sauce. Cook for half hour. Add the okra and taste to see if salt, pepper and other seasonings are needed. Cook on low for another hour and then add the shrimp; cook for about 15-20 minutes. Add a touch of Tabasco sauce now if wanted. Also add the chopped parsel.Serve over cooked rice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My family likes for me to add the rice to the pot, I add this before the shrimp and after the okra. Add the cayenne and other hot spices that you want towards the beginning, a little at a time and save some for the last half hour of cooking. Make sure to taste before you do!!

Good looking Gumbo recipe, Shunka. I love gumbo.

Unfortunately, my local Sam's Club quit carrying Andouille, and it's very hard to find anywhere else. You of course can make jambalaya without it, but it ain't the same. I'm going to use chicken & pork sausage this time. For tonight I decided to make chili, but I think I'll make the jamba' later this week.

Rob, I can't get Andouille anywhere close to here. I have to drive 35 miles to the closest grocery store as it is. I tend to use Kielbasa and then just add more spices to my Jambalaya.

Back
Top Bottom