Any sushi fans here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love it and eat it at least once a week. I love the spicy magura rolls and the old stand by rainbow roll. I have found that by asking they will always cut the sushi in half so you don't have to swallow such a big piece at once. I am not to that level of eating raw fish yet.

@Wholemilk, I love mentaiko. I have never had it anywhere out of Japan and do miss it.

I had lunch at my fav Japanese restaurant today and enjoyed a bit too much edamame. :).

My favorite type of Japanese restaurant would be the izakaya. They're traditionally taverns specializing in small and sometimes exotic side dishes to accompany drinking. Sashimis are part of their menu items too but not nigiri sushi.
There are great izakayas in the L.A. area where I live.

Sushi here, owned and operated by Japanese chefs can be quite expensive so we often frequent sushi joints operated by Koreans. They're almost as good and generally much cheaper. :D

One of the two places you can get sushi out where I live is owned by a Korean family. The other is actually a local "chain" of three restaurants with the same name, so I don't know whether or not it's Korean-owned. They have similar menu items but it's amazing how different the qualities of some of the dishes are within the same price range!

Has anyone ever had omakase?

Oh hell yes.

I was never clear on the distinction between omakase and kaiseki ryori though.

At any rate, I love sushi and eat tons of it. I generally tend to order a lot of sashimi, mostly salmon, mackerel, and white tuna (i.e. "shiro maguro").

I also love Chirashi and prepare it at home when I can get the fresh fish.

Just thinking about shiro maguro is making me hungry, and I JUST ATE. Thanks guys.

OH, and Sanma (Pacific Saury) sashimi. Almost forgot that one, had to edit the post. Not easy to find, but in the Spring the itamae at my favorite local sushi joint builds an omakase menu around sanma. He does it as sashimi, as shioyaki, etc. This is probably my favorite meal of the year.

This is a sanma/pacfic saury: (about 10-14 inches long)

sanma.png

And here's what it looks like as sashimi:

1790519027_a33bbbf8eb.jpg

Love it all!!! Can't get enough of it. My favorites ingredients include cucumber, avocado and salmon!

sushi not my fave but i do like that ginger stuff!

i do not care for sushi but i do not mind that pickled ginger stuff that you have with sushi !!:chef:

There's an all you can eat sushi buffet near me. It's meh.

I like sashimi though. When I do go some place decent, I almost always end up getting chirashi. I think my top four things are the white tuna, mackrel, octopus, and spicy scallop rolls....super spicy scallops.

There's a place called House of Kobe in the next town over. They had a really good sushi chef, that I got to know, that made it worth going. He would fix us all kinds of strange stuff and was just a really cool person. Too bad he left though...

One friend went with me that didn't like seafood at the time (she loves sushi now) who was mortified at eating raw fish. He fixed he a ham and cheese roll and she was tickled. One day he made us seared rare beef nigiri which was awesome. He also made a Japanese energy drink. It was quail egg, blue caracao, and sake.

Thanks to him I've tried a lot of different things I don't think I ever would have if left on my own.

I love sashimi, pretty much anything that's raw, I will eat as I am not squeamish at all.
I've been to Japan many times and the sashimi and sushi there is just beyond comparison. The freshness of the sashimi is just fabulous. I've tried sea urchin sashimi (very nice, melts in the mouth and has a little powdery texture) and also whale sashimi (very dark red meat, almost like beef). I did feel guilty eating the whale sashimi as I believe in conservation, but I was with some guests and did not want to offend them.

Back
Top Bottom