"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 09-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
I appreciate your comment, although I supposed I mentioned "easy" way to make the tamales.
If we go back to the history there is not a REAL MEXICAN TAMAL that can be made nowadays.
For example, it is gonna be impossible to stuff the Tamales with the same meats that the Aztecas sometimes used (I prefer not to recall that). ;)
Applying the Mole Oaxaqueño is only to give a touch of that region.
Speaking about the making of the "masa":
At the present time it is gonna be difficult that a housewife prepare the "masa" as the ancient Mexican used to do: smashing the SENTLI (Corn) and using the METATE.
In your video it is even used machines for making the mix.

Other example:
Surely you,as well as me , are a chocolate lover, but we are not enjoying the XOCOLATL as the emperor Moctezuma used to enjoy it: cold,with water,CHILI,and sometimes honey and vanilla. ;)
Not to mention that we are not even able to taste the chocolate as the OLMECAS did 3,000 years ago. ;)

In the matter of Tamales there are several types of Tamales; here I am showing one of the kind that can be made with ease by the friends of this site everywhere in the world.

If my fellas here allow me, I will be writing more about the wide variety of Mexican Traditional and non traditional recipes

However, thanks,and hopefully you are helpful too to be keeping this important legacy.

Best regards.

tzotzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Assistant Cook
thanks for your post, l already posted some to giggler.
Something about history.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
you welcome Luca.
I'll be writing more of traditional and non traditional recipes.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
thanks janet and tzot.

i kinda knew tamales were a corn thing, so i assumed it was a corn flour.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Executive Chef
I suspect that the only difference of opinion is as a result of language use.

tzotzil's native language doesn't seem to be English, so the translation into English is sometimes not what native English speakers might use as a phrase or word.

Such as "Corncob leaves" instead of the "Corn Husks" that most native English speaking people know them as.

Flour, by definition is a powder which is made from grinding cereal grains, other seeds or roots (like Cassava).

Corn (maize) flour is popular in the Southern and Southwestern US, Mexico, Central America, and Punjab regions of India and Pakistan, where it called as Makkai Ka Atta. Coarse whole-grain corn flour is usually called corn meal. Finely ground corn flour that has been treated with food-grade lime is called masa harina (see masa) and is used to make tortillas and tamales in Mexican cooking. Corn flour should never be confused with cornstarch, which is known as "cornflour" in British English.

So far, I've seen people here that are from Italy, Mexico, Germany, Asia, USA, Spain and Canada.

I wish I knew more than one language! I want to buy the "Rosetta Stone" for Latin Spanish, but haven't yet convinced myself that I can learn the language that way.

The language differences are very well adapted into English, as a common language between all of these countries. There are bound to be some slight differences in how some items are named.

I think the recipe given was exactly as it is made in Mexico, it's just a few words that are different between languages.
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
Thanks ,Tim.

You've got it,my friend.

It's something like to say "ordenador" as in Spain, "computadora" in Latinamerica, or "pc" in USA.

Sometimes it surprises me the translation of my chicano fellas saying "pagando pa' tras" for the English phrase "paying back" .

When the CACAHUATL - CACAO- was taken from Mexico to Europe, they called it "Cocoa". ;)

I'll be taking note and hope to remember in the furure those words and phrases that the people use in English.
Like "corn husks" . Ok

Best regards.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
Executive Chef
Thanks for the recipes. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you. :)
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
Assistant Cook
Thanks a lot ,purple. Keep in touch.

Anybody said TAMALES ??? Hello, hope this helps : -Mole Oaxaqueño -1 kg Flour -Lard(1/4 kg) -Water or Chicken stock(no fat) -Corncob leaves(7 dozens) - 1 spoonful salt Wait for the water or chicken stock to be colder ,otherwise it will mess the flour and the mix. Knead the flour with the melted lard and the chicken stock just enough until mixed to get a not very thick dough. Mud the leaves(not too much),mud the Mole Oaxaqueño then add the shred chicken.Fold the leaves. Put the raw tamales (vertical position)in a steamer and put it on the stove for 1 hour. 3 stars 1 reviews