"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

hmmmm i like indian food. try butter chicken

Old 04-27-2007, 10:53 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

I like the rogan josh, and the coconut currys. Lamb rogan Josh is nice and smooth, I know you said no lamb, but they have made it with chicken that I have seen at a few restaurants :)

I also get my Indian food very mild...my tummy doesn't do well with the spicy dishes like Vindaloo (althought my DH can eat it til the end of time as long as he has his naan :P Being British as well, it is a national pastime for he and the lads to eat good Indian food hehe) Also, the basmati rice is usually fantastic... try a touch of tamarind sauce too! Very different but oh so good, like a sweet fruity chili suace...not real sure how to describe it It is REALLY yummy, especially with meat samosas or chicken pakora.... sigh now I need to get some! LOL
I am a samosa and pakora addict lol

Old 05-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

When you have eaten your main have Kulfi for desert (you can make this easily and is gorgeous)
Old 05-20-2007, 10:44 AM   #24
Head Chef

I've been buying the Maya Kaimal brand curry sauces and making pretty good Indian at home. i've used the Tikka sauce and the Tamarind curry with good results.

Markgill, how do you make the Kulfi dessert?
Old 05-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #25
Sous Chef

Indian food is one of my absolute favourites!! parkoras, dal, naan, rita, curries! mmmlove it all!
infact yesterday i recieved a vegetarian indian cookbook all of the food looks authentic and whatnot and i am very phyced to the recipes!!

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:17 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Alot of Indian restaurants do a lunch buffet during the week that way you get to try a whole bunch of dishes all at once then you can figure out what you like best by tasting a little bit of alot them.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:24 AM   #27
Sous Chef

I enjoy Thai Noodles, some indian guy I work with turned me onto them, dunno if its indian food, but theyre good.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:40 AM   #28
Master Chef

Love, love, love Indian food; and there is none available within hours of where I live. Luckily I have a Pakastani friend who lives in Chicago but weekends here. They introduced me to "Kitchens of India' foods that I can just nuke and make up some basmati rice. I do make my own curries and tandoori, but the numbers of spices needed to make the various dishes taste right is just too much to have on hand if you only cook it a few times a year, so I love this "find".

I agree that the lunch buffets at many Indian restaurants are a great thing. I'm really not a buffet fan in general, but Indian foods take well to it, and it is a fun way to experiment so that you know what you will like if you have to individually order the next time you go out.

Indian food can also be very good for vegetarians. A couple of buffets I've been to over the years will have two lines, meat and meat-less, or will label the meat-less dishes as such.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:19 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

Here is one I found on the net. I will find the one I use for you if I can get to my books.

allrecipes.com/recipe/kulfi/detail.aspx
Old 06-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #30
Cook

Indian food

Go for a Thali which will allow you to taste many dishes! Chicken Makhani is wonderful! It is boneless tandoori chicken in a creamy sauce YUMMO! Dal is usually served as well as nan or paratha.

I love garlic nan and onion kulcha. I love Indian food and often cook it. I have traveled throughout the many regions of India on business and the food is wonderful every where, especially the dosa and idli in Kerela!

Tags
None