Anyone eat Indian food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegas Girl

Senior Cook
I may be going to an Indian restaurant, and have no idea what to expect. I do not want HOT!!

I'm looking at some names of dishes and descriptions. Can anyone recommend what's good, or not? I don't like lamb so I'll leave that out.

Nizami Biryani - Chicken spiced w/onion, yogurt & mint, with saffron rice.

Tandoori Murgh - Chicken marinated w/seasoned yogurt.

Murgh Akbari - A cashew nut based chicken entree flavored with nutmeg.

Kashmiri Murgh - Buttered chicken, garnished with fenu greek leaves.

What do they serve with these dishes...just rice?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Go fo a creamy Chicken Korma, absolutely delicious but not hot at all.
Normally you will find that the Staff all speak excellent English and if you say what you do not want they will be happy to recommend things to you.

Have some Bombay potatoes! delicious!!:)
Can I come too:LOL:

Biryani is a rice dish, rice with meat and may come with a mild vegetable curry. Its not saucy or heavy and often a reasonable choice if you are weight watching (as is tandori chicken ;))

The Kashmiri is a fruity creamy gently spiced...Ie flavourful not hot dish, but has the sauce.

All the above three are nice mild choces, the latter having a heavy sauce.
Apart from the biryani you will probably have to order rice (pilau or pilaf rice) seperately. Bombay potatos, as csalt says are yummy, and I have had some superb indian vegetable dishes too.

I hope you enjoy your meal, I hope what I have said halps you choose something you like!

Aside from Biryani, the items you listed are entrees and they are usually served by themselves, and rice dishes, naan, chapati (flavourful indian breads) etc. need to be ordered separately. Biryani is sort of Indian style fried rice, and pilau is plainer rice dish, lightly seasoned.

Most decent Indian restaurants will adjust the spiciness to your liking, if you talk with the waiter or the chef, and let them know that you prefer milder dishes. Don't be fooled with creamy looking curries just by the sight, it can also be pretty spicy, so it is always a good idea to check with the staff.

If you are not familiar with the Indian cuisine and would like to explore, many of the restaurants also offer sampler platters, where you can try out smaller portions of several different dishes.

They usually accompany the main dishes with several different types of chutneys, sauces and other condiments, don't be shy and taste all of them, I am sure you will find your favourite!!

I've only ever eaten Kashmiri chicken as a main...

I think the important thing to remember as Urmaniac says, is the restaurant will adjust the food to your taste, and they want you to like it! Most Indian food is not so horribly hot at all, but rather intensly flavoured and tasty!

Ur, I never thought to ask for a sampler platter...I'm going to aask that next tme to try some things I've never tried on the hotter end of the menu!

Tandoori Murgh - Chicken marinated w/seasoned yogurt

This is one of the more popular dishes served in American restaurants. The Bombay potatoes are also a favorite as is the bread. I am sure you will enjoy the atmosphere and cuisine.

Venison, buffalo fat, wild turkey, buffalo fat, venison, buffalo fat, wild turkey etc, etc, over an open fire is one of my favorite Indian foods:ermm:

Oops! Wrong kind of Indian food!:LOL:

Just go for it. Nothing to fear. Everyone will probably end up sharing everything anyways.

Indian=Good Food.

If you are NOT a fan of spice, avoid anything Vindalo.

If the have dosa, try one. The stuffed ones are always great.

As someone who LOVES Indian food - both mild & super spicy - I second the advice to stay away from any of the Vindaloos. Even some relatively "mild" versions can make your head pop off - lol!! Any "butter" or "tandoori" chicken dishes should be fine for you, & I also second the advice that you tell your waitperson that you don't want it super-spicy. Most places are used to this request.

As far as side dishes, as others have already mentioned, most Indian restaurant menus are ala carte, so you can choose what you want. My favorites?

Any of the rice dishes.
Raita - usually a mixture of yogurt, cucumber, & mild spices. Very soothing if something else you've tried turns out to be too spicy for you.
Dal - a mild lentil dish.
Panak Paneer - a delicious mild spinach dish with cubes of mild white cheese (sort of like farmers cheese) stirred in.

I haven't had Indian food since early January, I am very jealous. We don't have an Indian restuarant on the Island & haven't found one in Cancun either. My DH loves to cook Indian but for some crazy reason we forgot his Indian spice box when we came down.

I agree with all the other posters for entrees ....just wanted to add that the vegetable dishes especially the eggplant ones are delicious, Benghan Bharta is one. I love the raita because it is so cool & refreshing with all the other flavors. Naan is a must, you can order it plan or with potato or with meat. I think all naans are yummy.

I have never had Bombay potatoes...what are they? I arrive back in FL in the beginning of May, my first two meals are a juicy hamburger & then Indian food!! Enjoy.

Of course you need to try some of the naan breads---they are to die for and resemble pita bread only so much better---ask for the cucumber/yougurt sauce on the side (raita) with your main meal to help cool down your tastebuds in case they do get "fired-up" a bit. Bon apetit!

Uncle Bob said:
Venison, buffalo fat, wild turkey, buffalo fat, venison, buffalo fat, wild turkey etc, etc, over an open fire is one of my favorite Indian foods:ermm:

Oops! Wrong kind of Indian food!:LOL:

You left out roasted corn and acorn soup!

BTW, bison (buffalo) is one of the leanest meats around. Not much buffalo fat available.

Thats one thing about living in the UK, we get the best curry here!

I always get the veggie korma with some nan bread. YUM!

redkitty said:
Thats one thing about living in the UK, we get the best curry here!

But I bet you can't get buffalo* meat!

*Buffalo as in American bison, not buffalo as in water buffalo.

tandori chicken is not highly spiced, and you can request mild. the yogurt sauce is veyr nice and the rices and breads are quite tasty. you will find things you will like. A good waitperson is able to help the diner select the right dishes.

Vegas girl, be sure to tell the waiter that you can't take spicey foods. I like butter chicken is always a safe alternative for those that are sensitive to it.

As for me... Bring on the heat!

Back
Top Bottom