Armenian Cheese Turnover Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not according to the cookbook.

Yeah, but sometimes people confuse BP and BS. Maybe the author was thinking of BS when she wrote BP.

My sister is a chemical engineer and she swore to me that I could get baking soda in Denmark. When I got there she had already bought it. It was, as I expected, baking powder. When I pointed that out to her she said, "D'oh!"

Here are the dough ingredients:

2 Pkt Active Dry Yeast
2½ C Warm Water
2 tsp Sugar
1[FONT=PC&#47749]½ Tb Salt[/FONT]
[FONT=PC&#47749]¾ C Melted Shortening[/FONT]
10 C Flour

I bloomed the yeast then added the flour and shortening and kneaded it in my KA mixer. Let it rest until it doubled then portioned it into dough balls which rested for a short period before we started rolling out the dough.

I don't know when I/we will do this again. I will report back when I do.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I'm tempted to try this myself once you've got the recipe straightened out.

You've got the filling recipe in my OP and the dough recipe. Brush with egg wash and cut two holes in each. Bake at 375º F for 12-15 minutes.

Just be sure to leave out the BP! :angel:

Actually, I had twice as much dough as I needed so you could cut back the dough quantities.

Last edited:
This recipe comes from (Treasured Armenian Recipes) from the Armenian General Benevolent Union.

Beoreg
Dough: 3-1/2 C flour. 1/2 t sugar
1/2 cup milk. 1/2 yeast cake
1/2 cup melted butter. 3 T olive oil
2 eggs. for your hands
1 t salt

Filling: Mix the following
1 pound cheese, grated. 1/2 t salt
1/2 lb cottage cheese. Chopped parsley to taste
2 eggs. ( optional)

Beat the eggs, add the salt, sugar, milk and the butter, and mix well. Dissolve the yeast in a tablespoon of cold water and add to the first mixture.
Start adding the flour gradually, then knead the dough thoroughly. Divide into 30 balls the size of a walnut. Roll out each ball to 6 or 7 inches in diameter, brush with melted butter and fold like a handkerchief brushing with each fold. Put these bundles on a plate and put in refrigerator. It could be kept this way for several days.

Roll out each bundle 4 to 5 inches square, put a spoonful of filling over a triangle, dab cold water around the edges, fold over the other half, corner to opposite corner, covering the filling. Pinch the edges together, overlapping, a little. Make 3 tiny holes on top with the point of a knife. To prevent the
cheese from oozing out from the sides. Brush itch butter or beaten egg, arrange on a cookie sheet and let stand in a warm place for 3 hours. Bake in a 350 degree oven 20-30 minutes

Back
Top Bottom